I’m trying to set up a scenario where multiple users are all sharing the same folder (or subfolder) to store their notes. The goal is to have multiple users taking notes out in the field with their Android devices (no network access), then when they return to basecamp, connect to WiFi and sync their notes so everyone’s notes go into a separate subfolder under the shared single folder. The coordinator at basecamp can then access, review and consolidate information from everyone’s notes on the NC server. Each user would create a new category with their name and the date each morning, then assign all of that day’s notes to that category so they show up in a unique subfolder under the shared folder. I created a consolidated notes folder using the coordinator’s account and shared it with all of the users (full access), but when the individual users try to configure the Notes path setting to point to the shared notes folder it just switches them back to their local ‘Notes’ folder with no error message. Any suggestions?
I can`t tell you about your way. Usually nextcloud.log could know what happens there. But how about combing this with the groupfolder Feature. This works on my side at least to the point where the config keeps the path and let me create notes.
let me know
Thanks for the reply - I created a Group Folder and added myself and another account to it, but when I tried to change the notes folder it still automatically reverted back to the default ‘Notes’ after a couple of seconds. I’ll keep playing with it.
You need to setup the client apps accordingly. Have in mind that it will only work if each user is editing their own notes, or you will need an app that can merge changes, like a SVN (pull-compare-merge-commit). However if each user is making their own notes it will work flawlessly. This is how the automatic upload of photo media actually works. You can share upload path with other users, but as long as the filenames are not identical, all is fine.
That’s my goal - each user would enter their own notes/observations on their Android devices throughout the day, then ‘upload’ them to shared folder an NC server when they get back to the basecamp. The coordinator would pull up each person’s notes and extract the relevant data. I’m not clear on what you mean by set up the client apps correctly - I don’t see any options for setting the notes folder in the Android app. Could you clarify?
Is it the server version that “wins” or the client version?
Have your coordinator create a folder that he then shares. Then in the clients, choose the shared folder. If you would like to make it flawless, create a folder for each user, else sharing the same folder should still work.
So I decided to start over from scratch in case I messed something up:
- Created a user group named ‘Shared Notes’
- Created an account named ‘Coordinate’ and added it to the group ‘Shared Notes’
- Logged into the ‘Coordinate’ account
- Created a Group Folder named ‘Shared Notes’ and assigned the group ‘Shared Notes’ full permissions
- Created a user named ‘Field User 1’ and added it to the group ‘Shared Notes’
- Logged out of ‘Coordinate’ and logged into ‘Field User 1’ account
- Verified the ‘Field User 1’ had access to the ‘Shared Notes’ folder by uploading a test file
- Went to the Notes app and opened settings
- Changed the ‘Notes path’ value from ‘Notes’ to ‘Shared Notes’
- Added a new note (it took a while 20-30 seconds)
- I went back into settings and the ‘Notes path’ value had been changed back to ‘Notes’
Am I doing something wrong? I’m running NC 27.0.1 on NextCloudPi.
gonna rebuild this with nc 28.0.1
see u later