Setup Fails - SQLSTATE[42000] [1044]

Multiple tries to install with MySQL DB fail during setup on a shared host. Error message:
Error while trying to create admin user: Failed to connect to the database: An exception occurred in driver: SQLSTATE[42000] [1044] Access denied for user ‘xyz_rbadmin’@‘localhost’ to database ‘xyz_myplace’ where xyz is the

I try variations in the Database Host box, to no avail. My hosting service says access MySQL with an i.p. address. I even tried specifying my IP address as allowed for connections via cpanel by adding a my IP as an allowed connecting IP address, using port 3306. Didn’t work. Some have said don’t reveal pword but with pword obscured, fails still.

BASIC question first: WHAT should be entered in the Database Host Box? I assume it’s not local host since I’m accessing a remote / shared host.

Searching via google shows that many have suffered this problem. Here’s hoping for a definitive answer.

I note that I’m using a version 7 of php, all dependencies are satisfied, etc. I also verified that my uname/pword give access to the MySQL DB that I created. I note that If I do not specify a DB type and go with the default - SQLIte, I am able to setup successfully. I’d like to use the more full-featured MySQL.

Thanks in advance. /Roger