Setting-up LDAP integration with Samba 4 AD

Latest Nextcloud version, I’m trying to connect Nextcloud to a Samba 4 AD.

In the Integration App, on the first configuration screen, I need to enter a user DN, that has a form of ‘uid=agent,dc=example,dc=com’.

Where can I find that notation for a given user in Samba 4 AD ?

I can connect to the Samba 4 server, use ‘samba-tool show user’, but none of the entries have this form.
Note that simply replacing ‘uid’ and ‘dc’ entries with mine didn’t work.
Also note that I found the actual ‘distinguishedName’ in “Active Directory Users and Computers”, which has a form of ‘CN=user,OU=IT,OU=Team,OU=UsersOU=Groups,DC=ad,DC=sight-sound,DC=ch’ (because the user is nested in various OU’s), and it doesn’t work with that syntax either.

And here are the logs :

{"reqId":"cmUGGB6ZLucqwoguXCaT","level":2,"time":"2022-11-30T15:23:40+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.2.104","user":"admin","app":"user_ldap","method":"POST","url":"/index.php/apps/user_ldap/ajax/getConfiguration.php","message":"Configuration Error (prefix s01): No LDAP Login Filter given!","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:108.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/108.0","version":"25.0.1.1","data":{"app":"user_ldap"}}
{"reqId":"cmUGGB6ZLucqwoguXCaT","level":2,"time":"2022-11-30T15:23:40+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.2.104","user":"admin","app":"user_ldap","method":"POST","url":"/index.php/apps/user_ldap/ajax/getConfiguration.php","message":"Configuration Error (prefix s01): login filter does not contain %uid place holder.","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:108.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/108.0","version":"25.0.1.1","data":{"app":"user_ldap"}}
{"reqId":"zPO8h3bU3SPNPxlVIEFu","level":2,"time":"2022-11-30T15:23:43+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.2.104","user":"admin","app":"user_ldap","method":"POST","url":"/index.php/apps/user_ldap/ajax/wizard.php","message":"Configuration Error (prefix s01): No LDAP Login Filter given!","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:108.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/108.0","version":"25.0.1.1","data":{"app":"user_ldap"}}
{"reqId":"zPO8h3bU3SPNPxlVIEFu","level":2,"time":"2022-11-30T15:23:43+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.2.104","user":"admin","app":"user_ldap","method":"POST","url":"/index.php/apps/user_ldap/ajax/wizard.php","message":"Configuration Error (prefix s01): login filter does not contain %uid place holder.","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:108.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/108.0","version":"25.0.1.1","data":{"app":"user_ldap"}}
{"reqId":"zPO8h3bU3SPNPxlVIEFu","level":2,"time":"2022-11-30T15:23:43+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.2.104","user":"admin","app":"user_ldap","method":"POST","url":"/index.php/apps/user_ldap/ajax/wizard.php","message":"Configuration Error (prefix s01): No LDAP Login Filter given!","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:108.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/108.0","version":"25.0.1.1","data":{"app":"user_ldap"}}
{"reqId":"zPO8h3bU3SPNPxlVIEFu","level":2,"time":"2022-11-30T15:23:43+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.2.104","user":"admin","app":"user_ldap","method":"POST","url":"/index.php/apps/user_ldap/ajax/wizard.php","message":"Configuration Error (prefix s01): login filter does not contain %uid place holder.","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:108.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/108.0","version":"25.0.1.1","data":{"app":"user_ldap"}}

CN=user,OU=IT,OU=Team,OU=UsersOU=Groups,DC=ad,DC=sight-sound,DC=ch

Has a missing comma:

CN=user,OU=IT,OU=Team,OU=Users**,**OU=Groups,DC=ad,DC=sight-sound,DC=ch

However the user in the LDAP app has to be a service account, or any account what the delegated rights to read all the needed information of the LDAP directory, including testing Users passwords.

Thanks !

Tested again with the comma doesn’t work.

The user I’m using is a Domain Admin… I think I should not use this one for production use but for testing this should work the best, right ?

New unsuccessful tests I’ve done :

• Adding a uid in Active Directory Users and Computers (with Show Advanced Features On) → User ‘Properties’ → ‘Attribute Editor’ → Edited ‘uid’ field that was empty and added the name of the user to then use it in Nextcloud as in : uid=<uid_in_ad>,DC=<domain>,DC=<country>

• Using the Distinguished Name indicated by the Samba4 server, literally, with the use of samba-tool show user. In my case : distinguishedName: CN=Samba AD Administrator,OU=Administrateurs,OU=Groupes,OU= Sight-Sound,DC=ad,DC=sight-sound,DC=ch
    Used without distinguishedName: in the login field in Nextcloud but otherwise copypasted.

• Using the ‘uid’ given by Samba4’s commands :

$ wbinfo --name-to-sid USERNAME
S-1-5-21-4036476082-4153129556-3089177936-1005 SID_USER (1)

$ wbinfo --sid-to-uid S-1-5-21-4036476082-4153129556-3089177936-1005

I’m guessing the first and last one have nothing to do with what the ‘uid’ field in Nextcloud’s LDAP connection interface refers to, but figured I’d give it a shot.

Hi alcsight,

try this for the LDAP user login:

CN=name surname,OU=container,DC=domain,DC=name

something like:
CN=Santa Claus,OU=Users,DC=domain,DC=name

not sure why but I never worked out how to get the uid working…

Tested with Samba4 AD served from Zentyal server.

1 Like

Still no luck.

Did you have to go to the Advanced or Expert tab to connect or did it work with just the first page of config ?

All worked from the first page.

1 Like

What did you use as base DN ?

Maybe that’s my issue.

I’m trying with DC=ad,DC=mydomain,DC=com (because my AD domain has ‘ad’ first, like in ad.mydomain.com).

That is a perfectly fine base dn. However make sure that the service account you are using, also has delegated rigthts to traverse the OU structure from that top and down.

1 Like

Ok still not got it :k

Port is detected automatically, but I can’t confirm anything works further than that.

Note that I’m now only using the base DN specified in message #9 and the user login in the form specified by @dzidek23 in message #6 - that I actually copy and paste from “Active Directory Users and Computers” → User’s Attributes Explorer → ‘distinguishedName’.

EDIT: Oh, and to address your remark about users, I’m not really an AD afficionado so I’m using the very first admin ever created in the process of setting-up the AD. It has every right on the AD afaik.

1 Like

First of all stop testing from Nextcloud and verify connectivity and settings, using an LDAP browser. I use Apache Directory Studio to connect to and manage basically any LDAP capable directory service, including AD. If you can get it working with that, you can copy-paste basically all your settings in the ApacheDS connection properties to nextcloud, and you can be damn sure it is not config mistakes.

Ditto, make sure your domain is working first and then try to connect to nextcloud.

Also using Admin account for nextcloud isn’t best in my opinion. If you have a working AD just add another user and use it to search the directory.

1 Like

Yes. As Nextcloud SHOULD not be used to update your LDAP, any user - even without any rights - should be enough to read what is needed.

Apache Directory Studio - I never heard of this so had to give it a go… Whoa goodness me, this is more than avarage AD admin needs… There is potential, infact there is good chance that someone with little experience will mess up their domain :wink:

@alcsight If you have access to Windows see if you can get RSAT installed (not all modules work but AD does and is relatively easy to use)

Yes it is powerfull and has some outright smart features.
My most loved feaure is batch operations aswell as exporting filteret results. However with just and only a regular domain user, you can do no damage as you cannot write. But you can still use ApacheDS formany cool things with just read access. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Kerasit and @dzidek23, thanks for all the inputs.

Thing is the AD is definitely working, has been for a year, it’s used for a 40 computers company, I use RSAT since then, have a ton of GPO’s, and have set up some new ones even those last few days.

I will still try Apache Studio and let you know if I manage to connect or get more feedback from this app.

Yeah use the ApacheDS there’s enough information just about everything (and probably more) :wink:

I use what’s in the “distinguishedName” for my user in the LDAP form.

just right click the user in the left side and use “copy dn”