Setting up database manually from scratch

It seems that I will have time to continue the migration from Synology Apps to Nextcloud as it will be described in my tutorial soon.
For that purpose could anyone explain how to set up the permissions of a MariaDB manually from scratch (by means of myphpadmin).
So far I have a user User_Nextcloud and two virgin databases db_nextcloud_testing and db_nextcloud_productive.

It seems that the installation process has changed, and the documentation has been moved here.

I think you just need to create an empty database, and create a user with full read/write access to just that database. Then you can provide that username/password to Nextcloud in the config.php file and it should be able to take over from there, assuming that’s what you’re trying to do.

Is the plan to create an entirely new installation of Nextcloud, and then copy all users and files over afterward?

yep that is the plan but I keep the user in DMS as I want to authenticate againts LDAP

I don’t think I understand what you’re asking for. :thinking:
Are you trying to migrate the entire contents of your existing database, or do you only want to preserve the user account data?

My mistake
I understood you talking about files not DB content.

I want to preserve the user account credentials that’s all. As nextcloud can authenticate against LDAP it isn’t a big deal.

The only packages what is currently used on the NAS is File Station and Note Station all others mainly neglected as they are limited in functionality.

Note Station will keep running until NextNote is stable. Files will be moved via clients’ file explorer.

NAS will reduced to an back end and nextcloud will be the productive front end used for files management.

It my outlining understandable now :)?

I think that clarifies things :slight_smile:
So if you’re already authenticating against LDAP, I don’t see a big need to keep anything in Nextcloud. It seems like it would be far easier to start a brand new installation of Nextcloud, and then just install the LDAP app and configure it. Users will automatically be created and added to Nextcloud’s internal user database, and all you would need to do is reconfigure groups (unless you’re able to define that in the LDAP app configuration).

@linucksrox that’s what I intent to do.
By the above mentioned accounts I refereed to accounts within DSM for accessing nextcloud’s database not user accounts, may that caused some confusion.

@yourcloudasia that seems to be pretty new, it wasn’t there two months ago. All information are within those commands

CREATE USER 'username'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS nextcloud;
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON nextcloud.* TO 'username'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

I’ll try to follow them in phpMyAdmin and post the steps/screenshots here.

1 Like