Setting up a development environment

Hi all,
I want to start developing Nextcloud apps, but I find the developer documentation for the setup a bit overwhelming. I am using linux, so installing things like Apache and PHP straight onto my PC sounds like it would come with problems down the line. My instinct tells me there must be some kind of Docker image, but I cannot find one. I thus want to know how you have set up your development environment to make sure it doesn’t break easily and doesn’t interfere with your PC too much.

There is Julius Haertl’s setup described here: GitHub - juliushaertl/nextcloud-docker-dev: Nextcloud development environment using docker-compose

I think this is what you are looking for.

There are some tutorials created at the moment. Keep looking out for them, they might help you.

1 Like

hi! you can find all tutorials here, including how to set up your development environment using the docker that @christianlupus wrote about

1 Like

Thank you, this is indeed a lot easier

I can’t get nextcloud to install properly when using that container.
bild

It just keeps retrying downloading the viewer app. After a long while it continues to the login page - but there’s no login form and no error message.

Have you ran the bootstrap.sh script? It needs to be ran for the files to be loaded

This rather looks like a permission issue, to be honest. Are you using Linux?