Server side exclusion list idea

I am coming up with this idea, I hope it’s interesting to someone else and not diffucult to implement, so maybe it gets some traction. It is hardly a must-have, but I’m putting it out there anyway.

The original issue is that I am using nextcloud to synchronize some software IDE folders among multiple hosts. You know, Visual Studio, Netbeans and Eclipse, but there are other cases not necessarily related to software development. The point is I have these files I don’t really care to synchronize most of the times: e.g. .exe, .o, .class, .pdb, some files beginning with a dot in Linux, you probably know the deal right?

I can exclude these files in the client configuration, of course, which is fine. But it would be nice to set these exclusions on the server side and have the client app to inherit/obey them automatically without the need to do that manually on each client.

I mean, this could be just the client app automatically inheriting a special exclusion list set on the folder in server-side fashion when the folder itself is first added to the synchronization list. A different but trickier approach would be the server forcibly ignoring any matching file. I believe the first solution does not change the current philosophy of the client being in charge of the matter, so it should be the way to go?

Cheers, A.Z.

1 Like

This is a really good proposal. I was thinking about a different scenario. It´s about collaboration with office-documents, when having OnlyOffice or Collabora.
When sharing a folder with e.G. Excel-files, it would be great to exclude them from sync on server side. It would be even better, when the owner of the share could set this on a global level, so it won´t get synced by the clients of the share-consumers too. This is because it´s a pain to do collaborative work with Excel-files over local synced nextcloud shares. When excluding this from sync for all, who have access to this, you could limit the access to that documents to OnlyOffice/Collabora, so the whole team can do collaborative work on this, whithout having issues with “that one guy”, who opens the document locally.

I’d love to see this feature!