Server-side encryption does not encrypt files

I tried to encrypt my files using the dashboard and following the steps given here. Did that, and am greeted with this on the settings:

There is no option for a recovery key, and also my files are not encrypted as far as I can tell. I can see them and change them as I please if I access my server.

I am running unRAID 6.6.6 with the latest version of the Nextcloud docker from linuxserver.io

Did you enable the encryption after your files were uploaded? If you enable the encryption after you had files uploaded, it does not affect the already uploaded files. You need to encrypt these files manually via the occ command line tool.

Every newly uploaded files should be encrypted automatically.

sudo -u www-data php occ encryption:encrypt-all

Ah ok, that makes sense. Would it possibly be worth adding a line mentioning that in the documentation? Or is it bleedingly obvious?

Also could you point me to some documentation for that command line tool? I’m not sure I entirely understand what it’s doing and where I’m supposed to run it.

Hi Gobs,

sorry for the late reply, I was on a business trip and only had sporadic internet connection (some country`s don’t seem to progress very quickly)

If you check in the documentation under Files not encrypted, it tells you the scenarios, where files are not being encrypted. I would however agree with people saying, that as soon as you enable the encryption, it could follow up with the my previous mentioned command and encrypt all existing files.

Here you can find a documentation about the command line tool “occ” - It’s quite handy to do things quickly in the background.

You can always suggest changes. Especially when you had problems understanding it, there are probably others as well. On the top right corner of each page, you find a link “Edit on github” where you can make changes and submit them (they will be reviewed).