Server scale and host provider

I’m trying to get an idea of how Next Cloud will scale.

What type of specs would I need for this
25 gb of disk space
200,000 user accounts
1,000 active users at a time
mostly just downloads, not much file upload or writing.
Primarily all users using web dav

Can you recommend a host provider that would be best for this?

It would only be Nextcloud client or web dav. Lots of browsing files and downloading, a little uploading. Very little else.

Is there a difference in server resource usage between client and dav?

And by concurrent I just mean during a period of 15-30 minutes I expect 1000 users to download a 1-50MB file through client or dav.

25GB total space or per user?

1 Like

Also, with 1000 active logged in users doesnt mean they will use much bandwidth and server resources. It depends what they are doing. All 1000 at the same time downloading a file? All at the same time browsing/clicking around in the nextcloud ?

25 GB total.

[quote=“Poisony, post:6, topic:7136”]
All 1000 at the same time downloading a file? All at the same time browsing/clicking around in the nextcloud ?
[/quote]A mixture of both.

Is there a recommended host?

Excuse me but 25GB is NOTHING if you want 200k users. I hope you mean 25GB for each user. Or do you mean 25TB? Not 25GB?

yes 25gb total. There will not be a lot of uploading and over half the users will probably never log in but they will have accounts. I’m not worried about storage or bandwidth. Just slow performance from 1000 users browsing, sharing, downloading over a 15 minute period.

Has anyone compared the performance of a standard shared host like Hostgator, 1nad1, DreamHost to a specialized NextCloud host like these https://nextcloud.com/providers/ ?

From looking at your provider page it looks like these would fit my needs
https://owncube.com/admin-en.php
https://hostiso.com/nextcloud-hosting/

Does anyone have opinions or experience with them?

If I just used apache mod_dav, without Next Cloud for the same scenerio. Do you know if that would be difficult for a shared host to handle?

Thanks,

LoL I thought you meant 25GB of storage for 200k users…

You talking about 25GB bandwidth traffic?

You did type: “25 gb of disk space”

No, I mean 25GB of storage. There will be very little uploading, only sharing existing files and downloading those shared files.

I am typing exactly what I mean.

Thats quite some traffic: 2000 users with 50 MB per hour would be about 200 Mbit/s.

I don’t know any of these providers but most of them provide packages for “normal” usage (with such usage you won’t be their client for a long time). This is a very specific case and probably needs a specific configuration and you probably need your own dedicated server(s). If you only want to provide files for download, it’s possible that the apache-webdav module is more performant (as you don’t need all the database stuff, php and so on). Backup & restore or setting up a mirror is much easier.

A server with Gbit network and some TB of traffic…

A dedicated server is cost prohibitive or at least border line prohibitive.

apache webdav does what I need but web-dav clients aren’t reliable enough. I would be swamped with support tickets.

The Next Cloud client doesn’t do exactly what I need, so I would have to make some edits. I wanted to know a shared host could handle it before I start creating my add on.

I have an existing site that is similar. It has 500 active users over 15 minutes on a shared host. There is NOT DAV or Next Cloud - everything just goes through PHP and the browser. It doesn’t have resource problems. I just don’t know the shared host would handle it with growing traffic plus added overhead of Next Cloud.

Maybe a better way to phrase the question is how does Next Cloud compare to something like WordPress or Joomla or similar, as far as server resources?

And how do these https://nextcloud.com/providers/ compare to traditional shared host performace?

@henre Ahh I see! :slight_smile:

I’m hosting Nextcloud on my home server:

• 20 TB storage

• 12 HT-core i7 3930k

• 64GB ram

• 1000/1000 mbit/s connection

Shared host is not a fix definition, they run a lot of different environments, so it really depends on the provider. For your usage, it would be good to have a server that supports APCU and redis for caching. If no one can give you specific numbers which can be related to your use case, you could set up a virtual server at your place, make an install and simulate the 1000 downloads in 15 min and check the load. I had a test setup where I did some upload tests, perhaps I can do it the other way round as well. Would just need to create this number of users. Are you authenticating against LDAP?

It would be great if you could run that test. Thank you.

No LDAP. Authenticate against a SQL DB or OpenID.

I just checked and I can’t use the old test session any more. I would need to set up a new one. Such tests would only help you, if you want to know how to scale your virtual or dedicated server. For conclusions on webhosting packages, their environments are too diverse to make any conclusions. You can probably do this tests yourself. Just set up a small Linux image of your favorite distribution and then install Nextcloud. First in the standard settings. Then you can perhaps improve by using nginx instead of apache, tune your database, perhaps put everything into RAMdisk, … It depends how far you want to go.

If you want to distribute a lot of data at very little cost, did you consider using syncthing?