Sending calendar notification on behalf of user

Hello everyone!

In my Nextcloud instance I configured it to send emails in Basic settings from use a@gmail.com account and that works fine. It does send email notifications for shares, password resets and so on from that email address.

What I would like to do is when the user has configured its mail app I want notifications, especially for calendar events to be sent from his email, let’s say b@user.com. However, what happens is they all sent from a@gmail.com, but with some header tweaking for From and Reply-To fields to appear like it was sent from his email set in Nextcloud profile.

Is something like that possible? Or could I hack something up in source code?

Thank you

I had this topic already somewhere this week, and normally it was set that the user is place in the reply-to fields of the mail. Possible that is was for the shares only and not the calendar invites. In case that is just the case for the shares and not calendar, there should be a feature request and implementation is hopefully quite easy…

The sender (from-header) should always be the main account that is sending out the e-mails. If that would be a user’s address, this will be a problem for spam filters and notifications easily end up in spam (and your mail server could end up on spam-host lists).

I had this topic already somewhere this week, and normally it was set that
the user is place in the reply-to fields of the mail. Possible that is was
for the shares only and not the calendar invites. In case that is just the
case for the shares and not calendar, there should be a feature request and
implementation is hopefully quite easy…

For calendar invites user is also placed in reply-to so it does work like you
are saying.

The sender (from-header) should always be the main account that is sending
out the e-mails. If that would be a user’s address, this will be a problem
for spam filters and notifications easily end up in spam (and your mail
server could end up on spam-host lists).

Why do you think that would be a problem and notifications would end up in
spam? When I am creating calendar invites from Kontact (KDE Application for
managing mail/calendar) it does send them from my personal user email, and
they end up in INBOX for of the recipient.

Best

You have an account for the server to send mail, e.g. a@gmaill.com. So now imagine, some user has his address example@hotmail.com. He invites user3@yahoo.com to a meeting. Now you send a mail with the example@hotmail.com address via the gmail server to a yahoo address. The yahoo server will reject the mail because hotmail-mails come from microsoft, not from google or a hacked google account.

It’s perhaps a different thing if you use Nextcloud in an organization where you manage as well the mail server. In this case, it’s perhaps better to use the webmail integration to send over the user’s own account.

You have an account for the server to send mail, e.g. a@gmaill.com. So now
imagine, some user has his address example@hotmail.com. He invites
user3@yahoo.com to a meeting. Now you send a mail with the
example@hotmail.com address via the gmail server to a yahoo address. The
yahoo server will reject the mail because hotmail-mails come from
microsoft, not from google or a hacked google account.

I don’t want to use my server for sending emails, but to use mail app that was
configured by a user. He has his personal settings for SMTP server, and he would
send emails from example@hotmail.com through hotmail.com server. At the same
time account a@gmail.com won’t send anything.

Sorry, how could I miss that point as it was explicitly described in the first topic.

I moved to the mail app, @ChristophWurst can you tell us if it were possible to use the mail app to send out notifications?

It’s currently not possible.

What can we do to make it possible? I can also develop, since I am really interested in that feature.

At Calendar invites: Administrator shall choose if server's or user's email adress is used · Issue #5080 · nextcloud/server · GitHub we collected some input. I’m not totally sure if/how we want this feature.

1 Like

wrong topic

From an end-user perspective, that’s a desirable feature. We send invites as individuals, and recipients do expect invites from these individuals. So not being able to do so is a no-go and doesn’t allow to adopt NC Calendar.