Security and Version Updates

I am using nextcloud since a while and I am very happy with it. I installed it using snap. Since security is vital I was wondering what the best way would be to stay up to date with the most recent developments. Specifically:

1. I was hoping that there is some email feed that informs you about important security patches and releases of the latest versions. I couldn’t find anything like this. Is there sth like this and if not is there a different way to get notified?

2. I was wondering if the releases of the newer versions of the snap packages always fall behind the normal version updates or if that is just right now the case (v17 --> v18).

Thanks for any hints and help. Very much appreciated!

Not sure about #1. My advice is just patch everything regularly. You could write a script to do as often as you like, as long as you weigh the risk of security issues against the risk of automation breaking something when you aren’t looking.

As for #2, it does seem that snap is always a major version behind all other installation types. I don’t know why that is.

1 Like

Thank you for your response @KarlF12 . Well I do want to patch everything regularly. But I wanted to avoid checking every day/week for new security patches. Especially from a product where loads of sensitive data can be hosted, I was expecting that they have a email newsletter to inform the people about it (e.g. like GitLab has). I agree that automation bears its risks but getting notified doesn’t mean I have to automate this process.

I don’t know if there’s a mailing list for updates or not. They do have a blog with RSS where the updates are announced. https://nextcloud.com/blog/

1 Like