S3 External Storage with direct download option

I don’t believe Nextcloud does this, so I’m not putting this in the support section. :slight_smile:

If I use S3 as an external storage backend, it would be fantastic if it would not proxy the payload through Nextcloud when it is directly downloaded. If nextcloud would redirect to a signed S3 URL, that would ensure the security of the files on the S3 bucket, while at the same time optimizing the transfer speeds. Nextcloud doesn’t need to waste resources proxying the request, and the request can come securely but directly from Amazon. For downloading folder contents that are Zipped up you would still need to proxy, but for direct object access would it be possible to use signed S3 GET URLs instead of proxying via Nextcloud?

6 Likes

I created an account just to upvote this and ask: Did you find a way to do this?

1 Like

This cannot be done when server-side encryption is used.

Indeed, carmp3fan. It’d still be useful if you’re happy with the compromise.

However, when using end-to-end encryption this should work just fine.

I think this feature could improve Nextcloud’s performance with s3-like object stores as primary or secondary storage significantly.

I don’t believe so. With a direct download option you’d be downloading from S3 and not going through the Nextcloud server or client and thus there would be nothing to perform the decryption. You’d be downloading an encrypted file.

Hey, sorry to bring this back up, as I could really use this.
It should be possible to get the direct link, and offer that when no encryption is used (which is my case).

Any news on this?

ANy news on this? Need this option =(

Anything new? This is a very good idea since one VPS’s bandwidth is very small.

First of all, i don’t know how this should work, since every download link starts with https://cloud.server.tld/s/. In addition, all security mechanisms would be missing. I think S3 is simply an object storage. But maybe I am wrong with that.

But maybe you can upload individual files to S3 independently of Nextcloud and share their URL directly. In Nextcloud you could then create a text file (md) and share it with the links in the text file.

Any news on this??