Restrict User Search/Sharing to Groups

Hello Devs,

I am trying to understand how the user groups work.

I thought if I assign users to groups the functions would be restricted to this groups.

Like the group friends can only see and share things to other users in the friends group.
But the friends group cannot see nor share anything to the family group.
Users who are both in friends and family group can see and share everything to users in both groups.

With see I mean the little user button where every user in the nextcloud instance is shown or if I try to share something all users automatically pop up.

Am I missing something?

Thank you.

Maybe these apps help you or maybe answer your question:

For Circles like G+.

Folders for groups.

When you want to restrict users to see all user in search you can edit this in sharing in admin control panel.
See:

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/13/admin_manual/configuration_files/file_sharing_configuration.html

• Check Restrict users to only share with users in their groups to confine sharing within group memberships.
  • Check Exclude groups from sharing to prevent members of specific groups from creating any file shares in those groups. When you check this, you’ll get a dropdown list of all your groups to choose from. Members of excluded groups can still receive shares, but not create any
  • Check Allow username autocompletion in share dialog to enable auto-completion of Nextcloud usernames.

Best regards

1 Like

Thanks @STrike

I will try out the two apps.

Unfortunatly I see that I really am missing something:
My Sharing options are blank - is it known what yould be the cause?

Thank you.

press f12 and look in the console for error messages.

I guess there is something with file permissions in your structure apps/ wrong.

@STrike Thanks for the hint it is:

AH01630: client denied by server configuration: /var/www/nextcloud/data/.ocdata

but

rw-r–r-- 1 www-data www-data 14K Feb 12 16:56 updater.log
-rw-r–r-- 1 www-data www-data 0 Feb 12 16:57 .ocdata
-rw-r–r-- 1 www-data www-data 0 Feb 12 16:57 index.html
-rw-r–r-- 1 www-data www-data 324 Feb 12 16:57 .htaccess
drwxr-xr-x 2 www-data www-data 4,0K Feb 12 16:57 files_external

so there should be access but there is no data in the reqeuested file.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

At the moment not. But I see in your last screenshot that you are at personal settings ans not in the admin settings. Admin settings are belower.

@STrike Thanks wrong sharing button was the answer.

But I learned about two apps from app store which is good too.
After some testing Circles and Groupfolders are very powerful so I am quite satisfied with the options.

Although I could not solve the blank Sharing page yet, but thats not important for now.

Thanks again for the hints.

1 Like

Just an idea about your empty sharing page: did you disable the app “Federation”? I believe that app is providing the data for that page as it only shows information regarding your own federation idea and informs you that you can share with users from other servers:

Yes I disabled Federation - If I enable it the page looks like yours. So this is solved too.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

@rullzer
Can this site be disabled when federation share is set to off?