*Reliable* Installation instructions for Raspberry Pi 3?

Has anyone already had success to install Nextcloud on Raspbian for Raspberry Pi 3?

Can someone please point me to reliable Installation instructions for Raspberry Pi 3 (Raspbian or other)?

Has anyone already created an image to be copied on an SD* card?

php5 & nginx on RPi

I just described my experience regarding the upgrade here:

https://help.nextcloud.com/t/migrating-from-owncloud-to-nextcloud/551/29

tl;dr

If you want to start from scratch, without upgrading, it is pretty easy, just follow that instruction z000ao8q pointed to or any other installation that can be found on the internet. The Raspberry Pi and its descendant are very common by now and thousands of people use it for just this purpose: to keep private data away from big companies, that sell your data in one way or the other.

Just my two cents:

Don’t try to use Apache on Raspberry. It will work, but it will be boooooooring slow! Either use Nginx or Lighttpd, those two servers need much less resources than Apache.

Don’t use SQLite, use MySQL or, if you like, any other SQL server. The reason for this is, that SQlite is using one big file for its data base and each change to the file means that the entire file has to be re-written. On an SD card, that means sloooooooow access. An SQL server on the other hand, can buffer the access and it only has to re-write the part of the data base, that really needs to be changed. If you like, you can set up NC to use SQLite at first, watch its performance, and then switch to MySQL to see and feel the difference. :wink:

2 Likes

Not to forget the famous SD-Card coruption issue :frowning:

Actually, that “SD-card corruption issue” is more of a voltage corruption issue: most power supplies that are delivered with the Raspberry and that are sold as accessory simply are not stable enough to feed the SD card slot with enough current when the card is heavily used, resulting in corrupted writing processes, that even an ext4 file system can not correct.

Regard the difference between voltage and current there! Most power supplies are capable of delivering 5 Volts to the Raspberry, but as soon as the load reaches a certain level, this voltage drops below 4 Volt or even below 3 Volt for some microseconds. The CPU can deal with this voltage drop, but the SD card controller can’t. If you can, take an oscilloscope and watch the voltage that powers the SD card slot and see how it drops when the card is used.

When you use USB devices, the power drop becomes even more dramatic, because all USB devices and the SD card share the same power supply! That’s why you do not need a power supply that is capable of delivering 2 Ampere or more, you need a power supply that can hold 5 Volt when on heavy load. That is a very big difference.

The best results I get is from power supplies that are delivered together with Samsung Galaxy phones. (The original one, not a mimicry!)

3 Likes

Thx, z000ao8q, I’ll give it a try.

thanks for the explanation - should make sence.

When talking about power-supplies the cable should not be forgotten. very cheap or long cables have a lot of loss on them as well.
I had a drastic example where a nexus could not be charged during usage with one of them.

I am lucky so for with no issues - so I blame it on the supply + short cable

Meanwhile I also found this:

(Haven’t tested it yet…)

I will post my PI-Restore script inkl PHP7 & NGINX later, when i uploaded it to Git
apache should make unnecessary slow

@z000ao8q – didn’t I mention “reliable” instructions, and Raspberry Pi 3, and didn’t I post in “Nextcloud” forums?

Turns out the link you gave me was from 2013…

Nevertheless I tried my luck, replacing all “owncloud” occurrences of the instruction with “nextcloud” whereever I noticed them. (I’m trying the combination MariaDB, nginx, Nextcloud9 on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspbian).

However, it is my feeling that this rushed release of Nextcloud 9 has still too many raw edges. Some indicators, for instance:

1. I could connect to the first login screen where you are supposed to set up admin user, select the DB etc. After I selected the DB as MariaDB and had filled in all the rest, clicking “Finish” didn’t complete, but brought about an error message of not being able to connect to the DB. (I can connect to the DB from the command line, using the same user/password combination!)

2. When looking for a log of some sorts, I found one named owncloud.log in the /var/www/nextcloud/data/ folder.

Of course, I’m a stupid newbie to ownCloud and Nextcloud – so what do I know?

In any case, Nextcloud 9 isn’t for newbies. Especially not, if you want to get it to work with the components I tried with.

Hello,
sorry for the honesty. but also Owncloud ist not for newbies in my opinion due to all the advanced setup it requires to run reliably.
and a forked first version is even less - especially when you simply want to find/replace the names everywhere. there are numerous posts that this is not yet possible.

I have my setup as a basic reference here

PI2 & overclock & NGINX 1.6 & PHP 7
OC installer/updater

…there is no no-brainer out of the box. e.g. the nginx config needs to be taken from the Dokus…

No worries, @z000ao8q, I like honesty. <3
After all, I was bluntly honest in my comments as well :slight_smile:

I think that someone asking for the type of instructions as I did exposes himself as a newbie already.

However, it were the publicly stated goals of the Nextcloud team to provide a drop-in replacement to ownCloud, and to make future upgrades more easy than ever.

The first goal, providing a drop-in replacement would, as a minimum require to polish all installation instructions (mind you: for new installations!) in such a way that there are no more any ambiguities with ownCloud/Nextcloud filenames or configuration settings.

I had even seen, a week or two ago, a call somewhere for help with combing through the documentation/manuals to achieve this goal. It is very easy to recursively grep through all the source code and documentation file trees and find all occurrences of “owncloud”/“ownCloud”. It is however not easy (without expertise in the field) to decide which instance should be replaced by “nextcloud”/“Nextcloud”, and which should be kept. That’s why I didn’t offer my help. If there was too little help with that, that’s a pity. But then the job is not finished, and the release shouldn’t have happened.

The second goal… well, it remains to be seen, how that works out.

I installed Nextcloud tonight on a brandnew Raspberry 3 running on ubuntu server and the installation went pretty smooth. The RPI runs as my home server (check it out at www.terraveler.com/nextcloud). The problem I’m facing now is how to move the Data folder over to an external USB drive.
Since the drive is mounted as root I cant write on it. Anyone could help?

https://www.c-rieger.de/nextcloud-on-raspberry-pi3-with-nginx/#more-148
this one is also realy good.
I recommand to follow this guide to get php7, newest openssl (needed for http2) and nginx:
https://getgrav.org/blog/raspberrypi-nginx-php7-dev
Also use redis as cache.
I think the best way to get used to owncloud/nextcloud and find the best way to install is to do it serveral times. Its now my 5 time or so that i reinstall nextcloud.
For ssl cert try letsencrypt
Im thinking of writting a guide of the installation process on a pi. But i just my last installation and gotta learn for university.
If you wait till september you can use my guide :slight_smile:

Just for information if you want to follow c-rieger.de guide, I would not recommend to use Raspbian gcc version to compil nginx (with ngx_cache_purge-2.3" args), unless you don’t want to use the last gateway.conf part.

I’ve tried it and faced this issue: https://trac.nginx.org/nginx/ticket/912

I didn’t try with the last gcc version yet, so if someone could…let me know the result!

I can tell you that this one is NOT reliable. or there is something missing.

https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-nextcloud-server/