Rel 25 & php 8.2

I just did an install of rel 25 to foolishly find out that it doesn’t support php 8.2.

Is there an eta for 8.2 in release 25?

Thanks.

eta?

Why do you not use PHP 8.1 or the PHP from your Ubuntu/Debian release? Post something about your hardware, operating system (version), …

No, PHP 8.2 is not expected to be supported before Nextcloud 26.

Please also search the forums for the term “PHP 8.2”. The topic came up countless times recently.

2 Likes

Maybe I will wait for the beta release then …

I assumed that 8.2 would be supported because it is a LTS release.

Thanks.

It will. But there are still a few issues open on GitHub, and so the devs are targeting the release of Nextcloud 26 for official support. If you feel adventurous you can of course wait for the beta of NC 26 and report bugs on Github. :wink: Or you can just install NC 25 and PHP 8.1.

If you want to use Nextcloud for a longer period of time, you will have to deal with how to upgrade and manage PHP packages sooner or later. If you don’t want to do that, I would rather recommend an appliance like Nextcloud-AIO or the official Docker containers. Then you don’t have to worry about PHP versions or other dependencies.

The LTS release doesn’t help you at all, because everything also depends on your operating system. And you can neither skip a release of your operating system nor of Nextcloud.

To minimize effort, it makes far more sense to simply use the PHP version provided by the operating system release.

This means that sometimes you have to wait for the new version of the operating system before you can install the latest Nextcloud version.

I agree with you in principle. But using the PHP versions provided by the OS is not always completely seamless either, especially if you are using Ubuntu LTS and make full use of the five year support period, and then have to upgrade several versions at a time. I prefer to manage PHP and MariaDB independently of the OS version. But that requires that you gain the necessary knowledge to be able to do so. And I have learned some of these things the hard way, like probably pretty much everyone who deals with more complex home server setups, to which I would definitely count running a LAMP/LEMP stack with an application like Nextcloud. Of course, learning these things takes time, which many do not have or do not want to invest. That’s why I recommend AIO or the official Docker containers to these users.

2 Likes