Reflections on my failed journey for local LAN access of my AIO instance

I am running AIO v4.9.0 on Docker Windows. I access through a Cloudflare tunnel. I have been fine with this usage, but now want a speedier connection on my home desktop clients, and possibly my Android client. All of my attempts yesterday were unsuccessful. I can’t begin to think about NAT Reflection/ Split DNS/ etc. until I can actually access the Apache portal on the HOST using it’s own IP address.

1. I have familiarized myself with the OCC commands, specifically that I need the preclude any command with:

docker exec --user www-data <container-id>

2. I have removed the overwritehost entry, but having a string or empty doesn’t change anything.

3. I can’t have --env APACHE_IP_BINDING=0.0.0.0 or --env APACHE_IP_BINDING=172.24.0.7 because I won’t be able to access the AIO Login. The server will constantly timeout unless --env APACHE_IP_BINDING=127.0.0.1 is set.

4. I have added 172.24.0.7 to TRUSTED DOMAINS and to TRUSTED PROXIES, though I think TP is unnecssary. Even if it is added to TP I cannot access from Cloudflare with the HOST IP as URL; only if the URL is set to localhost in the Cloudflare config.

5. I’m not sure if APACHE_DISABLE_REWRITE_IP=1 has any affect on this pursuit. Enabling or disabling it with any startup variation had no noticeable changes.

I had to go back to the basics at this point, so here is my startup script:

docker run ^
--sig-proxy=false ^
--name nextcloud-aio-mastercontainer ^
--restart always ^
--publish 8080:8080 ^
--env APACHE_PORT=11000 ^
--env APACHE_IP_BINDING=127.0.0.1 ^
--env SKIP_DOMAIN_VALIDATION=true ^
--volume nextcloud_aio_mastercontainer:/mnt/docker-aio-config ^
--volume //var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock:ro ^
nextcloud/all-in-one:latest

What I learned NOT to do:

1. Don’t edit the config.php file directly. It will break read/write permissions. I couldn’t get them fixed. Always use the OCC commands in an elevated CMD prompt.

2. The config.php file to edit is in nextcloud-aio-nextcloud, NOT in nextcloud-aio-apache, even though they have the EXACT same config files.

3. If you break the config/system, you can replace the .vhdx file, but it’s NOT easy. You have to stop all docker stuff, move drive to a different PC, add user/admin permissions, delete it, then copy over your clone .vhdx file. Start Docker back up.

4. KEEP A CLONE OF YOUR .VHDX FILE

5. When you move the clone drive back, with the .vhdx copy, it will break Docker Credential Desktop. Stop Docker. Navigate to C:\Users\"user"\.docker\config.json and change credsStore to credStore. Reboot PC and it should be fine again.

6. When removing the container to rebuild with new startup DON’T delete docker-aio-nextcloud. Only delete docker-aio-mastercontainer. You won’t get the first one back, it will break your instance, and you’ll have to do the clone trick again.

At this point I have exhausted all ideas. I’m not sure if this is possible. I CANNOT get the frontend to load on anything either than on the HOST at https://locolhost:11000 or through Cloudflare at https://nextcloud.example.com. I’d love to know what I am doing wrong. Can provide any details and test any other methods.

THANKS!!

Hi, I have the exact same issue! Tried all your steps independently and I never got it working either. Did you ever find a fix for this, or did you use a different setup in the end?

Thanks!