Rebuild my micro SD card

Hi,
after moving my computer related equipment my micro sd card for the nextcloud is broken. And I have no duplicate or backup.
Now I learn that their is no easy way to obtain a copy. That is a real problem!
If I buy a second nextcloud box at WD just to have a duplicate sd card it would ship by 1. Dezember 2016. That is a rather long waiting time. And that is very annoying.

Iā€™d already posted a solution until the official image becomes available.

2 Likes

You could try to ask WD Labs to an SD card or an image, but we do recommend making a backup because we still canā€™t offer direct downloads at this stage.

One question from a long time PI user:

About the broken SDs: is the NC box not using a Read-Only filesystem?

The SDs break (at the point if a power issue during a write process) since PIs are on the market.

RO and tmpfs are a must imho.

Thanks for the answer.
Yes I could try. But not succeed. I donā€™t think that there ever was somebody successfully getting in touch with WD concerning Nextcloud Box. (No Ser.No.; no Mod.No).
And the new ordered Nextcloud Box (just to get hold of a SD-Card) does not ship on 1.Dezember. Shipment uncertain. This is VERY frustating - and shows the urgency of an immediat backup.

All data is written to the HD and tmpfs, but there could be something written to the card at boot time maybe. I havenā€™t looked into it. So far it seems itā€™s more of a problem with the card itself than the content though.

You do have an order number though.

Yep!
But to get that to them I need a serial + Model No. And that holds true for all possible Contacts.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out!

There is now a wiki entry on how to get support for the hardware:

Iā€™m curious to see what kind of reaction you will be getting from WDLabs. I contacted them on that matter, and they send me to the Nextcloud Support. Thatā€™s how I landed here :wink:

Which matter exactly?

I have a broken SD card too and have been waiting for over a month in the hope that the ā€œofficialā€ image would be released.
It seems this will not be the case and I made the mistake of not creating a backup. Any advice on how to get the box up and running soon will be greatly appreciatedā€¦

@Oparoz: On the fact that I managed to break my sd-card and asking for a replacement. I was told: ā€œUnfortunately, for this matter I canā€™t help you out. Plsease contact with Nextxloud directly. You are always welcome to contact us regarding any issues with WD Drivesā€ā€¦

And thatā€™s what I did. It finally helped me to rebuild an sd-card as mentioned earlier in this thread, even though I was sceptical, I would be able to do this. But the instructions were pretty easy to follow. The good thing is: I learned something new from my bad luck :wink:

1 Like

Many thanks @Datti . Thatā€™s not ideal and I hope weā€™re going to be able to fix that.

The good news is that weā€™re very close to being able to deliver that new Pi2/3 image!
(next week)

1 Like

I broke my card as well, never did that before, send a direct message to @JasonBayton hope he replies but also wondering if 8 days ago @oparoz said very close to deliver new image, how very close is it today?

I was hoping to have good news for the weekend, but itā€™s going to take a few more days.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, I was eating scones with cream and jam. It was too epic to put down in order to message you back immediately; hope you understand.

Link sent!

I fully understand, I would rather eat scones with cream and jam than trying to get my nextcloud box working, but thanks anyway

1 Like

Sounds great, do you think it will be available before Xmas?