Quick question - new user- how to install apps

How do I get admin rights?

The answer is simple, login with an admin account. Due to the fact that you seem to use a customized Nextcloud software package on Pop OS, you should ask the maintainer of the package to tell you how you can login as administrator.

By default Nextcloud provides such an access, but to be honest, without further information about that package, how it has been installed and configured, etc., etc. we cannot give you any further advice on this.

2 Likes

okay. sorry I am a bit confused.

So how do I ask the software maintainer, that would be ubuntu seeing as this nextcloud client was developed for pop_os right?>

It says : Version 2.6.2-1build1. in the client.

Would I ask the pop_os community, I actually created this account with the free hosting package provided for my area.

They were not able to help me either.

The client version is not of any relevance for this problem.

What does that mean? Do you want to tell us, that you aren’t hosting Nextcloud on your own and that you’re using a hosted version of Nextcloud? If yes, please provide DETAILED information which url you’re using to access Nextcloud.

Okay so when I found nextcloud it said to create a nextcloud account to choose either a self hosted or provider, so yes I went with a provider.

The name of the provider is Qcloud data.

I login through here : https://efss.qloud.my/index.php/login

I contacted them and they said they could not help me.

So I need to host my own server it seems,

I hope that is detailed enough.

I think this is an essential information which you should have told us from the beginning instead of wasting time letting us search for a problem which doesn’t exist. If you use a shared-hosting system, the provider decides which apps are available and which are not. If you want to use the full functionality of Nextcloud, you should look for an appropriate hosting package or host your server it locally.

2 Likes

I was unaware of how nexcloud works, sorry to waste your time. I will try not to bother you again. I believe I read that we could upgrade/change the server to another server quite easily through the browser portal, while maintaining the same client and operating system. I also read we can install apps manually to the browser portal.

1 Like

For the record I have contact almost every provider that nextcloud offers and none of them were able to provide me with a way or an avenue to take on how to upload the program i wanted (which i paid for from nextcloud). There were 6 providers all around the world I contacted

If you use the search function of this forum you will find several discussions about hosting providers and shared and/or VPS offers, e.g.:

@benji88i it seems you are missing some important details (correct me if I am wrong!)

I have contact almost every provider that nextcloud offers

Nextcloud (meaning Nextcloud GmbH, the firm) does not offer any provider. The providers are indipendent firms, and the list is just a service to the community.

none of them were able to provide me with a way or an avenue to take on how to upload the program i wanted (which i paid for from nextcloud)

it is not clear which program and what you paid for to whom.

The program: the main program is the one that can be installed on a server. Other programs are the clients; there are three main clients (desktop, android, ios) and several other specialized clients. For example on android you find clients for the bookmark app, the deck app, …
There are also some programs that are not really clients yet can use Nextcloud as a place to save data.
The server program is open source and can be downloaded for free; Nextcloud GmbH offers technical suppor on it.
The main cliens are also open source. I download for free all the ones that I use. I am not aware if this is differen on some marketplaces (Google Play Store and the Apple one), but you maybe pay there a few euro or dollars.

What you paid for: given the above it does not seem you paid for one of the programs listed…

to whom it seems that you paid Qcloud data for a managed account. Is it correct?

Consider that the providers can offer very different levels of services. Between the other things, one possible difference is this

• you are a user of one istance. This means that the admin decides which apps to install and you cannot change that
  • you are the admin of one instance. Here there are several possibilities but typically you can decide mostly by yourself which apps to install (it is rare but possible that some apps ask for some extra software on the server) and often you have the availability of a certain number of users

Clearly these two different services have two different costs.

Hope this explanation has been useful

:

1 Like

Hi there,

I understand the thirdparty provider arrangements nextcloud has with various external parties such as the one I have chosen, in this case qcloud.

I was not aware that nextcloud was so complicated to setup with “the apps” on the portal.

Correct I was given a server from one of the recommended and official nextcloud cloud providers list. I run a maths and physics teaching business and I just wanted to move away from OneDrive because I hate Microsoft so much.

The app I wanted to install is called nextcloud notes

It’s not complicated to install apps at all. The issue is that whatever provider you’re using isn’t giving you full access to the system, most likely because you’re not leasing a full installation on a virtual server, but a user account under their installation. In my installation, self-hosted running on my local computer, I can install apps very easily. For example, I added “calendar” myself, and I think it took 10 seconds because I have a slow internet connection.

I’ve attached some pictures to show what you’re missing because your hosting isn’t giving you full access.

Also, congratulations on the wish to stop giving your data to the evil tech monsters. That is how I discovered NextCloud as well. I hope you find a provider who can meet your need if you’d prefer not to self-host. Self-hosting does require a bit of tech knowledge, and a good internet connection if you’re syncing large files (I don’t, so my slow one is fine.) Look for the words “virtual server” or “virtual private server” in the hosting package to be sure that you get the whole banana and not just one slice. :slight_smile: That doesn’t mean you’re leasing the whole server (EXPENSIVE!) but a dedicated virtual instance on a server, which can handle a number of instances depending on usage and capability.

When you have the possibility to install the apps (this means that you self host or that you have a managed server with admin rights), the “setup” of one apps is usually clicking on a button and waiting one minute.

Nextcloud has the core functionality in the server and it can be extended via apps. Here you find a list of the apps: https://apps.nextcloud.com/
This modular structure makes Nextcloud more manageable and allow an admin to add (or remove) functionality. Even some basic tools are apps, even if they are distributed together with the program. For example a typical Nextcloud installation will have the calendar and the contact list,but these functionalities are provided by apps. Several apps are “official” and developed by the same developers of Nextcloud. Several other are not and they can provide more particular functionality (like for example the Openhab Viewer)

In your case you need:

• a Nextcloud server with the Notes app installed

• the Nextcloud Notes Android App (you are showing the screen-shots of this last one) on your mobile to access the functionality via android

Let me add that I use a lot the Notes app, also via mobile. I find it really good!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the guidance !, I understand the VPS server is the right way to go for as this is a cost effective option? Would that be correct?

Our business low data usage (between 25GB to 50GB). I have contacted numerous providers for nextcloud servers. Does anyone know any providers that could allocate this amount as I feel our business is too small for nextcloud.

All I need is something low cost for documents to be stored and to be able to have these admin rights.

digital ocean offer decent value for money and performance if you want to go down the VPS route. a guide is here.

Thanks Im just waiting for the time difference to give them a call. Really appreciate everyones kind help. Thank you everyone.

Thanks Im just waiting for the time difference to give them a call. Really appreciate everyones kind help. Thank you everyone.

1 Like

For your consideration:

you could find useful either the Group folders or the Circles app or both.

Another option to share and collaborate on simple texts could be the Text app (which is a default one)

Hi. I want to know how to find whether a provider has virtual server access (that means ability to install apps) or not before signing up for it. In the “nextcloud at home” signup page, all it shows is a list of servers. It doesn’t exactly tell whether the provider has this admin access or not. How to know? Or is it the case that no provider of nextcloud gives this feature and only self hosting users have that option?

Qcloud clearly doesn’t provide this feature. Is there a provider that does? I looked myself but couldn’t see such option. There are a bunch of symbols next to each provider page on signup but I don’t know which one indicates that it supports the ability to install apps. Please help