Questions regarding OCC on shared host (user and php version)

I see occ is supposed to be use “as your HTTP user”, and with the http server’s version of PHP. I’m using shared hosting but I do have shell access (webfaction - platform as a service) . All files in my nextcloud install are owned by my shell user.

1. Can I use occ?
  2. How do I confirm which PHP version nextcloud is using, as the system has many?

Please see How to use occ commands on a Shared Hosting without SSH access

Thanks @rakekniven , but I do have ssh access. Also, occweb is not updated for v.16. What I’d like to know is whether I can use the CLI given my parameters.

These questions are better asked in a new topic.

If your nextcloud files including the occ file belong to your shell user, then yes. This is probably the user to use for occ.
Regarding the PHP version, when you run the command
php -v
as the logged in shell user which is able to run the occ command, then you should actually see the PHP version Nextcloud is using.

This should probably work then:
php /path/to/nextcloud-folder/occ

@schmu - I appreciate your input. Since the web server is shared, I am unable to become the “http user”, though on the other hand all of my files in the Nextcloud directory are owned by me:me. It sounds like you’re saying I’m good to go, but that is why I was trying to confirm.

Regarding php, I’ll try to explain. This is what I have on webfaction’s server:

/usr/local/bin/php52  /usr/local/bin/php54  /usr/local/bin/php56  /usr/local/bin/php71  /usr/local/bin/php73
/usr/local/bin/php53  /usr/local/bin/php55  /usr/local/bin/php70  /usr/local/bin/php72

When I create a new application on this platform, I have to tell what PHP version I want, and in that case I gave it 7.2. Thing is, I’m remembering some complaint somewhere regarding PHP versions (Security & Setup Warnings? The logs?). That complaint made me think that webfaction’s portal may have given me version 5.something. That’s why I’m asking if there is a way to confirm which PHP my NC is using, either through the web interface or otherwise.