Problem with Passwords app upgrade

Hi Guys,
I just realized that can’t login to my nextcloud instance (NCP on Rock64, no dockerised) as it calls for upgrading Passwords app. I can’t skip it and clicking upgrade results in error and switch into maintenance mode… Trying to upgrade through occ gives:

bart@nextcloudpi:~$ ncc upgrade
Nextcloud or one of the apps require upgrade - only a limited number of commands are available
You may use your browser or the occ upgrade command to do the upgrade
Setting log level to debug
Turned on maintenance mode
Updating database schema
Updated database
Updating <passwords> ...
An unhandled exception has been thrown:
ParseError: syntax error, unexpected 'ConfigurationService' (T_STRING), expecting function (T_FUNCTION) or const (T_CONST) in /var/www/nextcloud/apps/passwords/lib/Migration/DatabaseObjectRepair.php:39
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/composer/composer/ClassLoader.php(322): Composer\Autoload\includeFile('/var/www/nextcl...')
#1 [internal function]: Composer\Autoload\ClassLoader->loadClass('OCA\\Passwords\\M...')
#2 [internal function]: spl_autoload_call('OCA\\Passwords\\M...')
#3 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Utility/SimpleContainer.php(107): ReflectionClass->__construct('OCA\\Passwords\\M...')
#4 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Utility/SimpleContainer.php(126): OC\AppFramework\Utility\SimpleContainer->resolve('OCA\\Passwords\\M...')
#5 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/DependencyInjection/DIContainer.php(455): OC\AppFramework\Utility\SimpleContainer->query('OCA\\Passwords\\M...')
#6 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/ServerContainer.php(140): OC\AppFramework\DependencyInjection\DIContainer->queryNoFallback('OCA\\Passwords\\M...')
#7 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Repair.php(119): OC\ServerContainer->query('OCA\\Passwords\\M...')
#8 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/legacy/OC_App.php(1035): OC\Repair->addStep('OCA\\Passwords\\M...')
#9 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/legacy/OC_App.php(979): OC_App::executeRepairSteps('passwords', Array)
#10 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Updater.php(375): OC_App::updateApp('passwords')
#11 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Updater.php(254): OC\Updater->doAppUpgrade()
#12 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Updater.php(130): OC\Updater->doUpgrade('20.0.3.2', '20.0.3.2')
#13 /var/www/nextcloud/core/Command/Upgrade.php(255): OC\Updater->upgrade()
#14 /var/www/nextcloud/apps/bookmarks/vendor/symfony/console/Command/Command.php(255): OC\Core\Command\Upgrade->execute(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#15 /var/www/nextcloud/apps/bookmarks/vendor/symfony/console/Application.php(1009): Symfony\Component\Console\Command\Command->run(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#16 /var/www/nextcloud/apps/bookmarks/vendor/symfony/console/Application.php(273): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRunCommand(Object(OC\Core\Command\Upgrade), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#17 /var/www/nextcloud/apps/bookmarks/vendor/symfony/console/Application.php(149): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRun(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#18 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Console/Application.php(215): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->run(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#19 /var/www/nextcloud/console.php(100): OC\Console\Application->run()
#20 /var/www/nextcloud/occ(11): require_once('/var/www/nextcl...')
#21 {main}bart@nextcloudpi:~$

I can wipe it clean of course but I’d really like to access my passwords (as well as calendar, files, contacts) and export/backup them before :frowning: Backup through ssh and ncp-config doesn’t seems to work either :sob:

Is there any way I could rescue my data (nc is not encrypted)…?

Hi Parsley,
Have you try to disable password app using occ command ? ( use : sudo -u www-data php occ app:disable passwords )
After having disable this app , try to acces to nextcloud.

check this link for more information :

1 Like

@Mageunic
Thanks a lot for a rapid response :+1:
So, after disabling the app I can login to NC. I’ll try to backup my data and follow Marius instructions to downgrade. My only worry is if this procedure wipe the passwords and if it does can I recover them from NC data backup…
I suppose it’s not really possible to export/extract passwords when the app is disabled…is it?

edit: After fix offered by Marius it works fine and all the passwords are there, thanks again!

1 Like