Problem synchronization Nextcloud (22.2.0) and Windows client (3.3.5)

Hello,

I have a problem with the synchronization of Nextcloud (22.2.0) via a Windows client (3.3.5).

I had a quota (350GB) on the user, which was full.
The user did some sorting in the folders to free 20GB of data.

The problem is that the synchronization did not delete these files/folders. The quota remains at 100% (350GB/350GB) while on the Windows the space is 20GB less important (330GB).

Thanks in advance for your help,

Hi @Myze

The files were most likely moved to the trash bin. Tell the user to remove all “Deleted Files” permanently, after that the space should be indicated as free.

Deleted files should be kept only depending on available quota. That part is managed via cronjobs, make sure that they run regularly (it should show in the admin-menu when it run for the last time).

Hello and thank you for your feedback,

The problem is that the recycle garbage can is not accessible, and when I run the command occ trashbin:cleanup it does nothing, and following an error message when accessing the data I had to disable the application “files_trashbin” to regain access but with the quota at 100%.

Thanks

I’m not sure about the exact procedure when you run into a quota problem. Perhaps the deletion of the files via client was not propagated to the server, so the quota is still in place (and blocks even deletions via client?). This should be a bit more obvious if you check the logs on server and client-side. It’s difficult if you are not the user. If there is a bug, it would be useful for a proper bug report.

If the login on the webinterface is still possible, the user could try to delete some large files directly. Or you change the quota temporarily, that it isn’t blocked up, so it can run again and you put it back once it recognized the 330 GB used storage correctly.

I’d try to cleanup the filecache occ files:cleanup. And also run the cronjob manually (sudo -u www-data php -f cron.php), perhaps it’s not running correctly or throws some error that shows up this way. One other automatically managed storage are versions, it keeps version of files as a function of remaining quota. If a user fills up the storage too quickly for the cronjob to clean up, that can be the same as for the trashbin.

And finally, I’d check the real storage use for this user, go to the data folder, and enter the user’s folder and do:

du --max-depth=1 -h