Problem sharing in Nextcloud 11 web interface

Nextcloud version : 11.0.0.10
Operating system and version : CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 (Core)
Apache or nginx version : Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS) OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_fcgid/2.3.9 PHP/7.1.0
PHP version : 7.1.0
Is this the first time you’ve seen this error and can you replicate it?: yes and yes

The issue you are facing:

I am unable to create shares via the web interface. Specifically, sharing with local NC users, not federated sharing or sharing by link. As usual, I enter a local user or group name, but autocompletion never kicks in (yes, I have autocompletion enabled for all users in my config), and when I enter a complete user name nothing happens (i.e. the share is not created). Interestingly, though, if I enter a user name that I know is non-existant, NC does tell me that the user is unknown.

However, I am able to create shares as usual from the Nextcloud client.

I also have an ownCloud-8.2.9 installation on the same server, using the same apache and php, and this problem does not exist in that case.

I’ve found nothing relevant in Nextcloud or Apache logs.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

Remember, this information may be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart: Feel free to use a pastebin service, otherwise log files can be indented with 4 spaces on each line to present them in a friendlier way on the forum.

It turns out that this problem is related to:

https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/3001

and I’ve confirmed that the sharing problem is eliminated by enabling avatars.

Resolved by enabling avatars
in config.php add
’enable_avatars’ => true,

1 Like

Enabling avatars didn’t seem to work for me. I still don’t get a drop down and unable to share with anyone. It was fine in 11 which was a fresh install and then upgraded to 11.0.1. Any other ideas?

Same for me. Enabling/disabling avatars doesn’t change a thing.
Same NextCloud version, coming from 10.

Yes I confirm (twice)
can’t share with avatars enabled
enabling avatars makes sharing work again under 11.0.1
hope it won’t brake web access to contact app as it was the reason why I disabled avatars under owncloud 8 or 9 in the past

I checked the browser console and found it is failing on the API url. If I manually navigate to it I get the famous

Access forbidden
CSRF check failed

So I don’t know if that URL should work manually. Maybe this gives a clue to the problem.

Edit:
This is what the browser response is when it requests a search using the API

{“ocs”:{“meta”:{“status”:“failure”,“statuscode”:998,“message”:“Invalid query, please check the syntax. API specifications are here: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/open-collaboration-services. DEBUG OUTPUT:\n”},“data”:[]}}

I also confirm this:

• Nextcloud 11 with avatars disabled: auto-completion in the web interface doesn’t work
  • Nextcloud 11 with avatars enables: auto-completion in the web interface works

Hi folks,

Could any of you please check https://GitHub.com/Nextcloud/server/issues

For an existing ticket, and if you don’t find one, create a new issue with as much info about your environment as possible. All others can then +1 there also as you’re going to be better served filling a bug than waiting for Devs to find this topic.

See my post above from Jan 9. Follow the link there to the existing ticket. I also made a post to the ticket with a link back to this thread, and my first post above from Jan 7 has details.

Great, anyone else facing this issue please add your voice there.