Possible for calendar to receive events from MacOS?

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 23.0.3
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): latest debian
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): replace me
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.3

The issue you are facing:
After setting up calendar sync, I see events showing up in macos but not in my nextcloud calendar.

I can’t find anywhere that tells me how calendar sync is meant to work; I want nextcloud calendar to be an aggregator (it should have events from my work calendar in macos, and then I can add personal events directly into nextcloud). Is this even possible?

I’ve set up DAVx5 and I’ve seen a test event in nextcloud calendar be synced to my macos calendar, but not the other way around, which is what I want.

Hi @Ironquaffle

Here you are: Synchronizing with macOS — Nextcloud latest User Manual latest documentation

I find that difficult to imagine, since DAVX5 is an Android app. :wink:

I read that page and did what it says to do, but I’m only getting events going from nextcloud calendar to macos, not the other way around. How do I get events from MacOS to show up in the nextcloud calendar?

Are you talking about already existing events, or newly created events?

Already existing events have to be moved to the Nextcloud calendar in order to apear on your Nextcloud server.

https://support.apple.com/guide/calendar/icl1007/mac

Or you could export them all at once and then maybe import them to your Nextcloud Calendar directly via the calendar app on your mac…

https://support.apple.com/guide/calendar/icl1023/mac

…or import them via Nextcloud webUI:

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/19/user_manual/pim/calendar.html#import-a-calendar

Also If you create new events in the calendar app on your mac you must explicitly add it to your Nextcloud calendar. You most likely can also set the Nextcloud calendar as the default calendar for new events in the calendar app of macOS, but I didn’t find a support article for that and don’t have a mac at hand to try it…

Btw. The same principle applys to DAVx5, respective the calendar app on Android or on any other OS.

Ideally I’d be talking about all events; I want them to sync to the Nextcloud calendar without having to do any manual work at all. Is that possible?

The events have somehow to be imported to the Nextcloud calendar. Either you have to move / copy them on the client side, or import them directly on the server.

No. Imagine a calendar app with multiple local and online calendars set up, that would just sync all the calendars to each other. That would create a huge mess… :wink:

I want the Nextcloud calendar to act as the aggregator for all other calendars; I don’t want its events to go to any of the other calendars. So it should be readonly, basically. Is that possible?

What other calendars? Are you talking about local calendars on your mac or about calendars from other providers, like for example Google Calendar, M365 etc…?

Nextcloud provides two components regarding calendars:

• A CalDAV server, that can host multiple calendars and serve them to CalDAV clients like e.g the macOS Calendar app, DAVx5 etc…
  • A web front-end to manage the calendars and the events hosted on the above-mentioned CalDAV server.

Think of it as a calendar service provider, like Google Calendar, with the difference, that you can host it yourself.

It’s not an aggregator for already existing calendars that are hosted somewhere else.

I see; I only really want an aggregator so Nextcloud’s calendar probably isn’t the tool for me then.