PLS HELP ! Setting new users e-mail address not working.. (Email address could not be changed!)

Hi guys,

after adding a new user (as Admin) it seems that I’m not able to add or change an e-mail address anymore…

1. add new user (as admin)
  2. Username & password & group
  3. try to set e-mail address for the just created user
  4. Error on top line of screen: Email address could not be changed… 'EMail Adresse konnte nicht geändert werden"

Also, logging in myself as the “new User” I can not access the e-mail field…

Am I missing something ? Used to work perfectly, but have not added users since upgrading to NC 11.0.2

Thank’s

Oliver

Nextcloud version (eg, 10.0.2): 11.0.2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 16.04): hosted server (ALL-INKL)
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25):
PHP version (eg, 5.6): 7.x
Is this the first time you’ve seen this error?: yes… but did not add users for a while

Can you reliably replicate it? (If so, please outline steps):

YES… add new user (as admin)
1.Username & password & group
2.try to set e-mail address for the just created user
3. Error on top line of screen: Email address could not be changed… 'EMail Adresse konnte nicht geändert werden"

The issue you are facing:
see above

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:
no log entries (except for addin the user)

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

Remember, this information may be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart: Feel free to use a pastebin service, otherwise log files can be indented with 4 spaces on each line to present them in a friendlier way on the forum.

SOLVED this by getting the hint from Morris Jobke…

• my config.php contained the line/setting: ‘allow_user_to_change_display_name’ => false,

THIS impacted also the e-mail setting of a user (not only by the user him/herself but also by an ADMIN !!)

Once set to “true” BOTH settings (UserDisplayName & User E-Mail Address) could be changed again !!

All in all very confusing and not really intuitive I have to say (PLEASE CHANGE THIS BEHAVIOUR !!)

In general I think, diallowing a user to change their Screen Name makes a lot of sense… but that should not necessarily disallow the change of their e-mail address (of course should need reconfirmation for an existing/working e-mail account).

At the same time THIS config.php setting should not impact an ADMIN from changing those user settings !!

Regards,

Oliver