Please bring back Focus on Readme.md creation

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 19.0.4
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Rasperian
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Nginx
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.3

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

1. In browser, click the area to create the Readme.md file
  2. It creates file, but loses focus on the text field to start typing, thereby requiring one to click a second time in the text field to type

This is one of those tiny often overlooked things that can make software infinitely more user friendly. I noticed when I click in a folder to create the Readme.md file it loses focus hence I have to click a second time to begin typing. Somewhere along the release cycles this happened. When this feature was first introduced clicking to create the Readme.md file immediately gave it focus so one could start typing right away. Now it loses it and requires a second click to give it focus before typing.

This appears to be a simple fix. It may seem like a small thing, but it’s not when one is creating numerous Readme.md files. I love this feature to allow one to add context around a folder. It used to create the Readme.md file and then immediately give it focus so one could start typing. This is one of those small UI things that makes a big difference in usability. It would be a huge improvement on productivity to have the newly created Readme.md file immediately have focus. It’s tiresome to have to click a second time to get focus. Makes no sense from a usability standpoint.

Thanks in advance.

I can confirm this behaviour. Could you please file an issue over on Github?

https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/new/choose

1 Like

Bug report filed. Thank you.

1 Like