Playing transcoded video files as a preview

Hello,

As a replacement for things like google drive nextcloud does not handle video files very well. It would seem that if viewing video files via streaming there is no preview encoding or transcoding happening like G drive does. This means that the full resolution file with high bit rate gets beamed through to clients.

I am in need of a way to generate a seperate file (using ffmpeg) upon upload of new video files that would be optimised for online streaming. Before downloading the full fat file.

This is critical for using nextcloud in my project of having an place i can upload my rushes in the field for the remote editors to pick up, review and download. When dealing with multi gigabyte files its just not feasible to first download it before knowing if its indeed the one that was needed.

Can anyone help me with this? I have searched everywhere I can and asked all the platform professionals I know about this.

Thank you,
Daavok

How about to use automation application to run external script when your file was uploaded? E.g. when you upload a new file set tag to it via automation tagging app and then convert to smaller video, so that your users have to use smaller version of video before download bigger.

Yes I was considering doing this as it would be a simple ffmpeg command and the server is powerful enough to run through these. However this brings an organisational issue for users. If you had a folder with RAW and Proxy folders you would need to have two browsers open to preview and select the correct raw video you would like to download by matching the name, mistakes can be made, its not ideal.

On the other hand if the proxys are already generated it would mean editors could pick them up at the same time as the raws and edit directly so in fact it might be a good compromise now that I think about it. I will need to see what the workflow and folder structure is like for the various non linear editors we are using.

Still though I would very much like either live transcoding to HEVC or something similar

Did you tried to enable “MOVIE” Previews in your config as described here: https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/17/admin_manual/configuration_server/config_sample_php_parameters.html#previews

he following providers are disabled by default due to performance or privacy concerns:

OC\Preview\Movie

Yes I have, and they generate fine. However these are only thumbnails. Not lower resolution video files. I orginally thought this was the solution but when looking at the .ooc command the ffmpeg part only generates an image file at a couple seconds into the video for the thumbnail. Changing this to generate a video file would not work as the player only streams the master file (i think I have not tested this)

1 Like

And why not use a dedicate media server?

You could use NC to manage files and another dedicated service to preview the videos.

I would like to stream MKVs like you, but now NC seems do not have time to spend in programming that part, the first seems finish the Hub of apps. If we have luck, video stream it is a part (as I think)