Placing files directly into other user's folders?

Hello!

Is there a way to place files in other user’s folders? At the oment, I log in as admin and I have connected to the root of the data folders as an external folder. I’m then placing files into other user’s folders via scp or webdav but when those users log in, they can’t see the files. I tried the occ files:scan hoping it was just an indexing issue, but that hasn’t done the trick. All the files and folders are owned by www-data and have read access for all users. I can see them just fine when I’m logged in as admin and going through all the folders though. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Nextcloud version : 14
Operating system and version : turnkey 9.4
Apache or nginx version: Apache/2.4.25 (Debian)
PHP version (eg, 7.1):

The idea of a cloud is to share the files to other users, not to physically copy them to their folders. NC then takes care of them to make them visible to the users.

1 Like

If you would like to move ownership from user A to user B use occ files:transfer-ownership. You can delete user A from the GUI and data will remain in user 2 --> https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/14/admin_manual/configuration_server/occ_command.html?highlight=occ#file-operations
Doing it by cp, mv or scp under root should be an exception case.

Try to run occ files:cleanup and then occ files:scan. You can added --path "user_id/files/path" option to make it quicker precised folder scan.

Hmm… hadn’t thought of it that way, I’m overthinking it.

1 Like

Many thanks!

1 Like