Pi4 ncp update via panel stops at php-update

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 1.15.2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): nextcloudpi
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): ?
PHP version (eg, 7.1): ?

The issue you are facing:
via NextCloudPi Panel started the Update (section ‘Updates - Update’), update seemed to run normally until it stopped here:

Creating config file /etc/php/7.3/mods-available/gmp.ini with new version
Setting up php7.3-cli (7.3.9-1~deb10u1) ...
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (Dialog frontend will not work on a dumb terminal, an emacs shell buffer, or without a controlling terminal.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
Modified configuration file
---------------------------

php.ini: A new version (/usr/lib/php/7.3/php.ini-production.cli) of
configuration file /etc/php/7.3/cli/php.ini is available, but the version
installed currently has been locally modified.

1. install the package maintainer's version
2. keep the local version currently installed
3. show the differences between the versions
4. show a side-by-side difference between the versions
5. start a new shell to examine the situation

What do you want to do about modified configuration file php.ini? 

but of course i cannot enter my selection in the mesage box in NextCloudPi Panel, and i cannot do so on the console, because i had no monitor attached to the Pi when i started the update and plugging in the HDMI does not help - the Pi does not connect to the monitor.

So it looks like i am stuck here and have no choice but to hard-reset my Pi during upate which will brobably leave me with a broken system?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): y

Steps to replicate it: no idea

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging: cannot access the system

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!): cannot access the system

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____: cannot access the system

PASTE HERE

Can try run ncp-update from terminal and choose to keep installed version.

Same by my nextcloudpi installation

I have the same problem.
The update via the web panel of course is not interactive so the procedure gets stuck at the point that @mschmaus reported.

I rebooted the the raspberry and connected thru ssh (you have to enable ssh access in the configuration page) and then lauched the update procedure with sudo ncp-update. The message dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. appears.
As instructed I launched sudo dpkg --configure -a and got to the message reported by mschmaus, now the menu is interactive so you can make your choice and go on with the update.

I suggest using option 3 to look at the differences in the two files and make your choice. Personally I think I will keep the old file but write down the interesting points of the new one in order to merge the two later.

Thanks for helping others. Fixed it in v1.16.9

Cool! Thanks a lot for your fast support!