Php occ files_external:notify / SMB Storage notification for changes

Hi,

I am using nextcloud 18.0.3 with Ubuntu Focal Fossa and external SMB Storage on a Windows 2012 Server. That works fine except the client get no info from the SMB Storage that there are any changes.

For this i heard the command php occ files_external:notify can help. So i have to always start the command by starting the machine? Is this service now always running when i start in once?

Whats the best way to handle the problem with notification for changes on a SMB Storage?

I also read that a solution can be to run a cronjob occ files:scan, but this is not possible for me because it takes to long cause of the amount of files…

scan

Thank you for your help!

The command php occ files_external:notify is working fine. The nc is now knowing the changes on the smb. But only when the command is running.

How does it work to make it permanently?

1 Like

Im doing the same here… im gonna do a script to make it run permanently on all the shares. It seems that this dosent exists.
How do you do it?

Having the same question. Is there any official way to enable it?

I would also like to know.
For now, the solution is to add a task to cron, for example:

sleep <time_in_seconds> && docker exec --user www-data nextcloud-aio-nextcloud php occ files_external:notify <mount_id>