Permission issues with Nextcloud desktop client

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 3.4.2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Windows 10 21H2
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): N/A
PHP version (eg, 7.4): N/A

The issue you are facing:

When trying to set up folder sync, I receive a permission error when selecting a network drive as the target, even though I have full permissions.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Click ‘Add Folder Sync Connection’
  2. Set the folder to “H:\Nextcloud”
  3. Permission error

perm_error

I have a ‘debug archive’ from the client as well, but that doesn’t seem to be something I can upload here.

Is drive H: a hard drive or a removable drive?
Do you have write permission to H:\Nextcloud, if you create a file in Explorer there?
Did you try annother Drive and folder f.ex. C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Nextcloud?

Is this the version of your desktop-client? - I recommend to try an older version as test f.ex. version 2.6.5 or 3.3.5 (both work proprely on my computers day by day).

Is drive H: a hard drive or a removable drive?

H: is a mapped network drive.

Do you have write permission to H:\Nextcloud, if you create a file in Explorer there?

I do, creating, deleting, modifying files and folders there succeeds without issue.

Did you try another Drive and folder f.ex. C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Nextcloud?

Yes, using D:\Nextcloud as the target, a local drive, works perfectly fine.

Is this the version of your desktop-client?

That is correct. It doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the actual Nextcloud server install, so the client version seemed more appropriate.

I recommend to try an older version

That’s not a bad idea, I’ll try 3.3.5 and see if I have a different experience.

Unfortunately, 3.3.5 has the same issue.

That might be the reason:

I am not sure, but it might be possible, that Nextcloud client cannot sync to mapped drives, because sync may fail, if the mapped drive is disconnected.

I have had network drives working in the past, it just seems like there was a change at some point that caused this to stop working. The only reason I discovered the issue was that I moved my nextcloud server and had to re-sync everything.

See https://github.com/nextcloud/desktop/issues/3201

1 Like