Password error during initial setup

Can not get past setup screen. Password error: Error while trying to create admin user: Failed to connect to the database: An exception occured in driver: SQLSTATE[28000] [1045] Access denied for user ā€˜rogerā€™@ā€˜localhostā€™ (using password: NO)

Note that I am setting up on a shared server hosting environment on which others have successfully installed Nextcloud (ref: https://hagen.cocoate.com/?p=1670).

MORE:

I have uploaded zipped installation files and placed them in a folder. I have tried doing the install from the command line (cli) with the ā€œoccā€ method. I am able to get to the setup screen / web interface with my browser but encounter password errors IF I specify mysql as the DB, having set it up before this step. If I do not specify mysql and go with the defaults, I get no errors and get a functional Nextcloud. SO, this does not appear to be a matter of incorrect entry of the pword. FWIW: I check and could connect to a mysql instance from the cli.

Iā€™d like to use Mysql but continue to get login errors when I make that selection.

Hopefull thereā€™s help for this.

Thanks.

/Roger