OnlyOffice or Collabora?

Onlyoffice does indeed support collaboration, even with nextcloud.
As I see onlyoffice seems to be finished developing, they mostly maintain it.
Collabora is still in heavy developing, perhaps they will get par with the features.
But you can’t edit odt files with onlyoffice, it’s always converts them to docx.
Mailny if you have not much RAM, you are better off with Collabora.

I have the exact same question – collabora or onlyoffice. My question is: Which one of these apps is available to users who only have access to the cloud with a shared link? As far as I know, these users can not even use the simple text editor, but in my case it would be important, that these users can also edit via shared directories with a shared link…

Within Collabora you’r able to do this in a certain way.
First you have to create a folder and copy all your files here.
Then allow upload and editing on that folder and share the link to that folder.

For everyone who is curious about technological differences that bring comparative advantages and disadvantages of ONLYOFFICE and Collabora we have published a detailed comparison in our blog on Medium.

There we described how both suites work behind the surface and likely answered many arising questions. The discussion is warmly welcome!

3 Likes

that reads very biased, so the collabora guys should do that too, the truth often lies in the middle.

1 Like

Hi,

I don’t understand why this article is headlined “a critical comparison”.
It is actually very far from critical in my opinion. Although I prefer Onlyoffice over Collabora, especially when used with Nextcloud, the big advantage for Collabora is the option to co-edit files that are publicly shared.

1 Like

and that “1,5GB” part “forgot” to mention that OO needs 4 GB from the start.

Hi!
I accept this: we covered only the ‘core’ technological aspect, not every single possible point that could be discussed. But we indeed believe (and have tested) that this is the root of major usage drawbacks, even if not seen right away by an average user.

This kind of “social journalism” was a bit too obvious I would say. Right at the start it sounds like Libreoffice is somehow “legacy” too, whereas only Openoffice is almost dead actually.

Just make OnlyOffice work with NC shared document links and we will use it. This complaint has been standing for quite a while now, and I guess the reason for installing Collabora or OnlyOffice is mainly to target Google Docs so this is what you are competing against. I don’t think that either Collabora nor OnlyOffice stand a chance against MS in any serious office environment.

I have tried both and I can see that there are some valid points regarding the core basics in that comparison, but the lack of being able to edit a shared document via a link kills OnlyOffice for us.

2 Likes

Collabora or OnlyOffice is mainly to target Google Docs so this is what you are competing against

Exactly. They should fight against their most important competitors instead against other OSS options. Microsoft Office 365, Dropbox Paper, Google Docs/G Suite, Apple iWorks, Zoho, Thinkfree and so on. The only way to do this is by having full feature parity plus advantages over them (selfhosting is one, but surely not enough).

I don’t think that either Collabora nor OnlyOffice stand a chance against MS in any serious office environment.

@budy Maybe you can give a few points where they really lack in comparison to Microsoft Office? Like for example: Collabora has better collaboration features, Onlyoffice supports OOXML better.

Well, I am not the one who put out this comparison, and my post only reflects my personal opinion, plus my experiences trying both on our company NC. Afaik, both rely on LibreOffice Onlice in th backened, at least this is what I saw in the docker container, I tried.

OnlyOffice clearly has it’s pros on the editor side and even collaborative work can be performed local to the NC server, but - and as I said, this where Collabora shines, not with external peers.

Regarding the comparison against MS Office, there are a couple of things to consider. The first and formost are fonts. Where as MS Office will work with a variety of fonts, either OnlyOffice as well as Collabora have some very limited font handling capabilities.

However, this doesn’t hold our users back from using Collabora for collaborative editing with external parties.

@dev0

OO needs 4 GB from the start

2 GB is quite enough for the small team (~50 users)
4 GB is recommended for the servers with over 100 connections

1 Like

since when?

since 4.0
(we also would recommend adding 2-4 GB of swap)
for example, you can simultaneously create and edit ~100 docx files even on a small 2CPU/2GB server
you might need more resources for simultaneously opening large files or converting doc/odt to docx (ONLYOFFICE always converts them to docx, but it’s worth it, as you can always be sure that you won’t have any formatting issues)

@ibnpetr That sounds very interesting.
Do you see any chance to run this on a raspberry pi with 1-3 users max. ?
There would be only 1G mem available (plus swap)

Unfortunately current version of Document Server cannot be installed on a device with ARM processor.

ONLYoffice consists of 2 Linux server install components if you want to host it yourself: a document server (document editing) and a community server (collaboration) including mail component. You can install these components on a single host using docker containers. For best performance however it is best to install on 2 virtual private servers using plain installation rather than docker images.

Community server:
https://helpcenter.onlyoffice.com/server/linux/community/linux-installation.aspx

Document server:
https://helpcenter.onlyoffice.com/server/linux/document/index.aspx

There is a limitation to the number of simultaneous edit sessions the document server will allow, but it is fairly generous. If additional simultaneous edits are required (50) an enterprise license can be purchased.

https://www.onlyoffice.com/enterprise-edition.aspx

@telleropnul

There is a limitation to the number of simultaneous edit sessions the document server will allow, but it is fairly generous. If additional simultaneous edits are required (50) an enterprise license can be purchased.

Free version allows 20 simultaneous edits (every next editing session will fall back to “view” mode)

I was told by OnlyOffice via their github forum only today:

Pavel Lobashov
12:10 AM (10 hours ago)

To use mobile apps you should use ONLYOFFICE SaaS (onlyoffice.com or personal.onlyoffice.com), or CommunityServer or Enterprise Server.
We have no plans to support nexcloud in our mobile app