ocdata missing, unable to create "data" folder after upgrade to latest NC

Nextcloud version Nextcloud Hub 8 (29.0.2)
Operating system and version: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
Apache or nginx version: Apache/2.4.52 (Ubuntu)
PHP version: 8.1

Hey everyone. I just upgraded my very old nextcloud version (starting on Nextcloud 16.0.5 on Ubuntu 20.04) up to Hub 8 running on Ubuntu 22.04. I did the nextcloud upgrades internally using the WebUI until I hit the latest version. But now, in the web admin panel I see the below error. As far as I can tell, everything is working perfectly (file syincing etc).

It was not possible to execute the cron job via CLI. The following technical errors have appeared: - Your data directory is invalid. Ensure there is a file called “.ocdata” in the root of the data directory. - Cannot create “data” directory. This can usually be fixed by giving the web server write access to the root directory. See Installation wizard — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation

My nextcloud data is at a smb mountpoint. Here is the line in my fstab I use to mount it:

> //192.168.1.22/Nextcloud /mnt/nextcloud cifs uid=33,gid=33,credentials=/home/www-data/.smbcredentials,dir_mode=0770,file_mode=0666,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0 0 0

(uid/gid 33 are what www-data are on my system).

The file .ocdata definitely exists, and has the correct permissions:

# ls -al | grep ocdata
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data        0 Jun 18 17:36 .ocdata

The data dir /mnt/nextcloud and all its child folders have been chown -R www-data:www-data yet the error persists. I have also run the below commands to ensure the permissions are correct on the folder however the error persists.

find /mnt/nextcloud/data -type f -exec chmod 640 {} \;
find /mnt/nextcloud/data -type d -exec chmod 750 {} \;

Any ideas on how I’d hunt down what is causing this error? It appears cosmetic – everything is working. I can upload files etc.