NVME Server, point me in the right direction

Hello,

I’m thinking about spinning up nextcloud in my company. Have some spare bits lying around and would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what would be the best server configuration for my needs.
I will have around 15 users with 300Gb of data between them. Mostly docs, pictures, pdf’s… Generally lots and lots of small files.

I have spare:

• Ryzen 2400G and mobo (8 pcie 3.0 lanes on x16 pcie + 4 pcie 3.0 lanes on mobo + 4pcie 3.0 lanes to chipset)
  • hyper m.2 card (it can fit up to 4 nvme drives on it but cpu has lanes for only 2)
  • 2x 1Tb nvme drives
  • 1x 250Gb nvme drive
  • couple 500 Gb ssd drives

My plan is to install:

• 250Gb nvme on mobo and use it as system drive,
  • 2x 1Tb nvme on hyper card for data with zfs mirror,
  • ssd’s to chipset and use them as backup.
  • Plus backup to my NAS and some critical data to offsite storage.

Is this a good plan? Would you do anything different?

What should I do in regards to installation type? I wanna go with Ubuntu 20.04. What should I use? Archive install, docker, VM, snap? Whats the easiest most resilient type of setup and configuration?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Hello,

All looks good except the processor. Ryzen 2400G isn’t the fastest and from my personal experience, nextcloud is really CPU resource hungry when it comes with simultaneous user load.

Good ting about AM4+Ubuntu, you can letter drop a better powerful processor without the need of OS Reinstall or change of Motherboard.

All of them will work. Use a setup what you are comfortable with. Personally I would avoid complicated setup process and follow a the most simplest layout for future troubleshooting.

Personally I am comfortable with snap and VMs so I may have followed that.

My idea,

Hardware → just 2 x 1TB NVMe (on RAID)

1. Ubuntu 22 + Snap NextCloud
  2. Cornjob schedule for Snap nextcloud backup command to take scheduled backup for config & data base only.
  3. Mount the NAS Drive → cornjob to mv the snap database backup directory and rsync to keep a copy of user data on NAS via network.

You get two layers of backup, RAID should ensure safety from local storage fails and secondly if the server hardware or OS is broken, a fresh snap nextcloud installation (in any other system or VM) can easily restore the user data and snap backup.

Thanks.