No Update via browser

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

Can not update via browser from 15.0.14 to next available version, 16.0.11. No button to click! Hasn’t happened before. Some adisories appear at top but they are non-critical, related to performance, emoticons, and such. I am running on a shared hosting service.

The issue you are facing: can not upgrade

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Login as admin
  2. Go to admin / overview
  3. no upgrade option to click

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Error	Undefined index: changelogURL at /home1/bronordc/public_html/myplace/core/Controller/WhatsNewController.php#91

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => '[REMOVED by Mod]',
  'passwordsalt' => ' [blanked] ',
  'secret' => ' [blanked] ',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => ' [blanked] ',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => [blanked] ',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => ' [blanked] ',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '15.0.14.1',
  'dbname' => ' [blanked] ',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost:3306',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'dbuser' => ' [blanked] ',
  'dbpassword' => '[REMOVED by Mod]',
  'installed' => true,
  'mail_from_address' => ' [blanked] ',
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'sendmail',
  'mail_domain' => 'gmail.com',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 2,
  'mail_smtphost' => ' [blanked] ',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtpport' => '587',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'NTLM',
  'mail_smtpname' => ' [blanked] ',
  'mail_smtppassword' => '\'&9\' [blanked] ',
  'updater.release.channel' => 'production',
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

N/A

THANKS Nate, for the tip on editing this post.

1 Like

@private.guy No problem, and I never update from the web, I update from CLI

Can you try that?

Nate,

I considered upgrading but got lost, not knowing which version to download - server vs. other 2 versions. My instance is on a shared hosting service.

I had difficulties with first install didn’t install because of permissions I don’t have for the database, giving me pause. It’s very hard to deal with the host via chat. So, would that problem arise during update, really an install? Or does the the key info resides in /config and is that sufficient?

I tried downloading /config the php file and /data, but it never served to go to completion. Can one just rename /data, leave it on place, and name it back after deleting all sizes and unpacking?

FWIW, I have a small amount on the remote - a few files and notes that would be easy to upload.

I thought about starting from scratch but the DB issue keeps me from doing that.

Eventually I plan to moved to a new hosting services where I would have more control.

Thanks.

– Roger Broseus
Pls excuse auto-correction induzed tiepos.

@private.guy

You didn’t remove all sensitive data from your posting so I did that for you. On the other hand you did remove information not as sensitive - but ok.

Pls consider your instance as perhaps being compromised.

Thanks. What did I miss?

– Roger Broseus
Pls excuse auto-correction induzed tiepos.

I would do the server, the server means that you are running a client, the windows and mac means that you are connecting to a client

Can not login - “wrong” version of PHP:

Well, Nate, I installed using the method of saving config and data and then putting the contents of a zip file into my nextcloud folder. This is an alternate method - download from Nextcloud and unzip, etc. Copied data and config stuff back. When I try to login via a browser, I get an error that my php version must be 7.2 - but it IS! The version on my hosting service is 7.3.20. And it was that way before the upgrade and the older version was running. Any ideas?