"No connection to NextCloud at nextcloud.mydomain.com" in single desktop app, works fine in about 5 others

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 15.0.7
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): FreeBSD
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx/1.16.0
PHP version (eg, 7.1): PHP 7.1.29

I have a working NextCloud desktop client across 5 different machines, and all of them are completely problem-free. One machine however suffers an issue which started more than a month ago, and I still have no resolution. It simply will not connect at all.

The only error message is “No connection to Nextcloud at nextcloud.mydomain.TLD”.

It seems to maybe have something to do with encryption, though again, it works 100% fine over several other different clients. I’ve tried using my actual username/password, and/or several different (freshly generated, even) app passwords (even the ones that work on other machines).

Using the --log option, the only log messages that seem to be relevant are these (note that there is an absurd rule that “new users can only post 4 links in a given post”, and worse, the actual limit seems to be zero, so, this is highly incomplete but should be enough to see what’s going on):

[OCC::ConnectionValidator::slotCapabilitiesRecieved Server capabilities QJsonObject({“activity”:{“apiv2”:[“filters”,“filters-api”,“previews”,“rich-strings”]},“bruteforce”:{“delay”:1600},“core”:{“pollinterval”:60,“webdav-root”:“remote.php/webdav”},“dav”:{“chunking”:“1.0”},“end-to-end-encryption”:{“api-version”:“1.0”,“enabled”:true},“files”:{“bigfilechunking”:true,“blacklisted_files”:[".htaccess"],“undelete”:true,“versioning”:true},“files_sharing”:{“api_enabled”:true,“default_permissions”:31,“federation”:{“expire_date”:{“enabled”:true},“incoming”:true,“outgoing”:true},“group”:{“enabled”:true,“expire_date”:{“enabled”:true}},“group_sharing”:true,“public”:{“enabled”:true,“expire_date”:{“enabled”:false},“multiple_links”:true,“password”:{“enforced”:false},“send_mail”:false,“upload”:true,“upload_files_drop”:true},“resharing”:true,“sharebymail”:{“enabled”:true,“expire_date”:{“enabled”:true},“password”:{“enabled”:true},“upload_files_drop”:{“enabled”:true}},“user”:{“expire_date”:{“enabled”:true},“send_mail”:false}},“notifications”:{“admin-notifications”:[“ocs”,“cli”],“ocs-endpoints”:[“list”,“get”,“delete”,“delete-all”,“icons”,“rich-strings”],“push”:[“devices”,“object-data”]},“ocm”:{“apiVersion”:“1.0-proposal1”,“enabled”:true,“endPoint”:"/ocm",“resourceTypes”:[{“name”:“file”,“protocols”:{“webdav”:"/public.php/webdav/"},“shareTypes”:[“user”,“group”]}]},“password_policy”:{“enforceNonCommonPassword”:true,“enforceNumericCharacters”:false,“enforceSpecialCharacters”:false,“enforceUpperLowerCase”:false,“minLength”:8},“theming”:{“background”:"/core/img/background.png?v=3",“background-default”:true,“background-plain”:false,“color”:"#0082c9",“color-element”:"#0082c9",“color-text”:"#ffffff",“logo”:"/core/img/logo/logo.svg?v=3",“name”:“mydomain Nextcloud”,“slogan”:“all uploads and files are encrypted”,“url”:""}})
[OCC::AccessManager::createRequest 2 “” “/ocs/v1.php/cloud/user?format=json” has X-Request-ID “ffb355fa-ab52-46de-aa7a-92567d93fddc”
[OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::start OCC::JsonApiJob created for “” + “ocs/v1.php/cloud/user” “OCC::ConnectionValidator”
[OCC::WebFlowCredentials::slotFinished request finished
[OCC::JsonApiJob::finished JsonApiJob of QUrl("/ocs/v1.php/config?format=json") FINISHED WITH STATUS “OK”
[OCC::ConnectionValidator::ocsConfigReceived Determined user-visible host to be “nextcloud.mydomain.TLD”
[OCC::JsonApiJob::finished JsonApiJob of QUrl("/ocs/v1.php/cloud/user?format=json") FINISHED WITH STATUS “OK”
[OCC::AccessManager::createRequest 2 “” “/remote.php/dav/avatars/me/128.png” has X-Request-ID “08ca0894-0e6d-4e50-b725-40045d2722e8”
[OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::start OCC::AvatarJob created for “” + “” “OCC::ConnectionValidator”
[OCC::ClientSideEncryption::initialize Initializing
[OCC::ClientSideEncryption::getPublicKeyFromServer Retrieving public key from server
[OCC::AccessManager::createRequest 2 “” “/ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/public-key?format=json” has X-Request-ID “8d97c0d9-5cbf-4d5c-8f44-f2185d3f6366”
[OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::start OCC::JsonApiJob created for “” + “ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/public-key” “OCC::ClientSideEncryption”
[OCC::JsonApiJob::finished JsonApiJob of QUrl("/ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/public-key?format=json") FINISHED WITH STATUS “OK”
[OCC::ClientSideEncryption::getPublicKeyFromServer::::operator() “-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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\nc2TxrVofbHX1/c8WIdn4oJwaQXPs\n-----END CERTIFICATE-----\n”
[OCC::ClientSideEncryption::getPublicKeyFromServer::::operator() Found Public key, requesting Private Key.
[OCC::ClientSideEncryption::getPrivateKeyFromServer Retrieving private key from server
[OCC::AccessManager::createRequest 2 “” “/ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key?format=json” has X-Request-ID “77d65553-deaa-4921-8ab4-3627e3ce1c54”
[OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::start OCC::JsonApiJob created for “” + “ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key” “OCC::ClientSideEncryption”
[OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::slotFinished QNetworkReply::NetworkError(ContentNotFoundError) “Server replied “404 Not Found” to “GET /ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key?format=json”” QVariant(int, 404)
[OCC::WebFlowCredentials::stillValid QNetworkReply::NetworkError(ContentNotFoundError)
[OCC::WebFlowCredentials::stillValid “Error transferring /ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key?format=json - server replied: Not Found”
[OCC::JsonApiJob::finished JsonApiJob of QUrl("/ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key?format=json") FINISHED WITH STATUS “ContentNotFoundError Server replied “404 Not Found” to “GET /ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key?format=json””
[OCC::JsonApiJob::finished Network error: “ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key” “Server replied “404 Not Found” to “GET /ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key?format=json”” QVariant(int, 404)
[OCC::ClientSideEncryption::getPrivateKeyFromServer::::operator() No private key on the server: setup is incomplete.
[OCC::OCUpdater::backgroundCheckForUpdate Checking for available update
[OCC::AccessManager::createRequest 2 “” “[NEXTCLOUD UPDATE SERVER]client/?version=2.5.2.20190319&platform=win32&oem=Nextcloud&versionsuffix=git” has X-Request-ID “7752f2ad-0382-4d70-86bf-5fb4bddcc1cc”
[OCC::NSISUpdater::versionInfoArrived Client is on latest version!
[OCC::AccountState::checkConnectivity ConnectionValidator already running, ignoring “me@nextcloud.mydomain.TLD”
[OCC::AccountState::checkConnectivity ConnectionValidator already running, ignoring “me@nextcloud.mydomain.TLD”

I have not been able to sync this client for more than a month, and it’s becoming more and more of a serious problem for me.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

Which OS does your clients have and which version of the nextcloud are you using?

Seems to me like an SSL problem. Are you connecting to the server via Https from all your clients? Or is it just Http for the others?

The clients that work are a mix of Windows and Android clients. The client that is broken is also Windows. They all connect over SSL, and, there are no SSL issues.

Hi,
I think I got pretty much the same problem. The server is running on version 15.0.2.0.
My Client on Ubuntu 18.04.2 doesn’t work since April, while on Android, everything is fine.

The log messages of the client also tell me that there is no private key on the server:

[OCC::ConnectionValidator::slotCapabilitiesRecieved 	Server capabilities QJsonObject({"activity":{"apiv2":["filters","filters-api","previews","rich-strings"]},"bruteforce":{"delay":0},"core":{"pollinterval":60,"webdav-root":"remote.php/webdav"},"dav":{"chunking":"1.0"},"end-to-end-encryption":{"api-version":"1.0","enabled":true},"files":{"bigfilechunking":true,"blacklisted_files":[".htaccess"],"undelete":true,"versioning":true},"files_sharing":{"api_enabled":true,"default_permissions":31,"federation":{"expire_date":{"enabled":true},"incoming":true,"outgoing":true},"group":{"enabled":true,"expire_date":{"enabled":true}},"group_sharing":true,"public":{"enabled":true,"expire_date":{"enabled":false},"multiple_links":true,"password":{"enforced":false},"send_mail":false,"upload":true,"upload_files_drop":true},"resharing":true,"sharebymail":{"enabled":true,"expire_date":{"enabled":true},"password":{"enabled":true},"upload_files_drop":{"enabled":true}},"user":{"expire_date":{"enabled":true},"send_mail":false}},"notifications":{"admin-notifications":["ocs","cli"],"ocs-endpoints":["list","get","delete","delete-all","icons","rich-strings"],"push":["devices","object-data"]},"ocm":{"apiVersion":"1.0-proposal1","enabled":true,"endPoint":"MYSERVERURL/ocm","shareTypes":[{"name":"file","protocols":{"webdav":"/public.php/webdav/"}}]},"password_policy":{"enforceNonCommonPassword":true,"enforceNumericCharacters":false,"enforceSpecialCharacters":false,"enforceUpperLowerCase":true,"minLength":8},"theming":{"background":"MYSERVERURL/core/img/background.png?v=2","background-default":true,"background-plain":false,"color":"#0082c9","color-element":"#0082c9","color-text":"#ffffff","logo":"MYSERVERURL/core/img/logo/logo.svg?v=2","name":"Urnkall-Cloud","slogan":"ein sicherer Ort für all Deine Daten","url":"https://nextcloud.com"}})
[OCC::AccessManager::createRequest 	2 "" "MYSERVERURL/ocs/v1.php/cloud/user?format=json" has X-Request-ID "63c99b9a-2f9b-427d-97c2-235ac16b8f70"
[OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::start 	OCC::JsonApiJob created for "MYSERVERURL" + "ocs/v1.php/cloud/user" "OCC::ConnectionValidator"
[OCC::WebFlowCredentials::slotFinished 	request finished
[OCC::JsonApiJob::finished 	JsonApiJob of QUrl("MYSERVERURL/ocs/v1.php/config?format=json") FINISHED WITH STATUS "OK"
[OCC::ConnectionValidator::ocsConfigReceived 	Determined user-visible host to be "cloud.urknall-music.de"
[OCC::JsonApiJob::finished 	JsonApiJob of QUrl("MYSERVERURL/ocs/v1.php/cloud/user?format=json") FINISHED WITH STATUS "OK"
[OCC::AccessManager::createRequest 	2 "" "MYSERVERURL/remote.php/dav/avatars/benjamin/128.png" has X-Request-ID "9bdc5283-7208-4ef6-87eb-ee5b83a7a21e"
[OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::start 	OCC::AvatarJob created for "MYSERVERURL" + "" "OCC::ConnectionValidator"
[OCC::ClientSideEncryption::initialize 	Initializing
[OCC::ClientSideEncryption::getPublicKeyFromServer 	Retrieving public key from server
[OCC::AccessManager::createRequest 	2 "" "MYSERVERURL/ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/public-key?format=json" has X-Request-ID "4ba322b6-4bf6-4673-b6bc-d7247f6aec63"
[OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::start 	OCC::JsonApiJob created for "MYSERVERURL" + "ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/public-key" "OCC::ClientSideEncryption"
[OCC::JsonApiJob::finished 	JsonApiJob of QUrl("MYSERVERURL/ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/public-key?format=json") FINISHED WITH STATUS "OK"
[OCC::ClientSideEncryption::getPublicKeyFromServer()::<lambda 	"-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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\n/KfuS6O1h+Qg\n-----END CERTIFICATE-----\n"
[OCC::ClientSideEncryption::getPublicKeyFromServer()::<lambda 	Found Public key, requesting Private Key.
[OCC::ClientSideEncryption::getPrivateKeyFromServer 	Retrieving private key from server
[OCC::AccessManager::createRequest 	2 "" "MYSERVERURL/ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key?format=json" has X-Request-ID "259ce9d2-a87e-40b3-a60a-66bdef413a5a"
[OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::start 	OCC::JsonApiJob created for "MYSERVERURL" + "ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key" "OCC::ClientSideEncryption"
[OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::slotFinished 	QNetworkReply::NetworkError(ContentNotFoundError) "El servidor respondió \"404 Not Found\" a \"GET MYSERVERURL/ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key?format=json\"" QVariant(int, 404)
[OCC::WebFlowCredentials::stillValid 	QNetworkReply::NetworkError(ContentNotFoundError)
[OCC::WebFlowCredentials::stillValid 	"Error transferring MYSERVERURL/ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key?format=json - server replied: Not Found"
[OCC::JsonApiJob::finished 	JsonApiJob of QUrl("MYSERVERURL/ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key?format=json") FINISHED WITH STATUS "ContentNotFoundError El servidor respondió \"404 Not Found\" a \"GET MYSERVERURL/ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key?format=json\""
[OCC::JsonApiJob::finished 	Network error:  "ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key" "El servidor respondió \"404 Not Found\" a \"GET MYSERVERURL/ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_encryption/api/v1/private-key?format=json\"" QVariant(int, 404)
[OCC::ClientSideEncryption::getPrivateKeyFromServer()::<lambda 	No private key on the server: setup is incomplete.
[OCC::OCUpdater::backgroundCheckForUpdate 	Checking for available update
[OCC::AccessManager::createRequest 	2 "" "https://updates.nextcloud.org/client/?client=RGlzdHJpYnV0b3IgSUQ6CVVidW50dQpEZXNjcmlwdGlvbjoJVWJ1bnR1IDE4LjA0LjIgTFRTClJlbGVhc2U6CTE4LjA0CkNvZGVuYW1lOgliaW9uaWMK&version=2.5.2.0&platform=linux&oem=Nextcloud&versionsuffix=git" has X-Request-ID "2d1628a7-c190-4528-ba9f-19d36ef84e49"
[OCC::PassiveUpdateNotifier::versionInfoArrived 	Client is on latest version!
[OCC::AccountState::checkConnectivity 	ConnectionValidator already running, ignoring "me@mydomain.de"

Have you already been able to solve the problem?

This is private key of end-to-end encryption App, not the server. I think it should be saved under data/<username>/files_encryption/OC_DEFAULT_MODULE, please check this path on the server. Other wise make key backup from other clients.

Ah. Disabling the end-to-end encryption app fixed the problem for me (evidently that’s beta and shouldn’t really be used yet anyway). I wonder why it was working fine for all my other clients, but, looks like all is good now. Thanks!

P.S. That path on my server has a (seemingly) valid encryption key. I’m not entirely sure why it was not working for this particular client (but was working fine for others). I’m more than happy to help diagnose if anybody has any suggestions.

I know how it should work, but did not use it since long time. Try to open a ticket direct on github encryption app:

Or here, for desktop client:

1 Like

thank you @gas85 to being explicit in your message. this helped me to figure this issue on my side.

I’ve got this issue too:

• Nextcloud server version 20.0.1 (PHP 7.4.12 ) with the plugin End-to-End Encryption version 1.6.2. I don’t see anything in the logs related to any warning, error, info about an issue.

• My Nextcloud desktop version 2.6 under Ubuntu 20.04LTS was showing the message No connection to Nextcloud until I disable the plugin and simply restart my Nextcloud-desktop application.

1 Like