No access to Host Drives in VM

Hi …
I have bought the Image for Hyper-V from techandme. This Image is running on Windows 10 Pro with 3 x 8TB HDD @ NTFS as a VM. So far it is running, HTTPS and so on …
I have installed Samba to get access to the HDDs, that didn’t work. So I have installed smbclient and it didn’t work too.
I can see the VM at every PC but NOT the Guest System, also smbclient -U user -L IP Address will list every PC but NOT the Host/Guest System.

Maybe it is a trivial mistake in configuration since I am newbie in this kind of stuff

TIA

BTW I’m german and in the 2nd half of live … please keep it simple

Sounds like a networking issue. I don’t know how the network is deployed by default. Since you bought an image, they can provide a bit more information.
@enoch85 Can you help, do you have a FAQ how to set up SMB as external storage (and how to make the network settings)?

1 Like

I have startet an Issue at Github, a couple of minutes ago.
Indeed it is an problem in Samba.conf.
I am working also with the NextCloudPi image and if I remember it is the section where I have to point to a data path (i.e. www-data at the Pi Version) I can’t figure out.
In an Hyper-V image in Windows environment it should be a standard to have an option for Samba, my opinion.

After weeks, days and hours fiddling around, I found that Windows 10 Pro offers Linux and SMB/CIFS Support, but it has to be activated (installed) in System Setting
So far it is now working, but I have still the problem to bind the complete HDD to Nextcloud, Folder ok, but not the whole drive. I posted this also at GitHub.

I’ve seen this on Githib and I don’t think it’s a bug, rather a user error. SMB is activated in the VM and has always been, just for the record.

I’m also not sure what you are trying to achieve? Do you want to use SMB as main storage, or do you want to add SMB shares in Nextcloud?

Let’s continue this here, and not on Github since this is not likely a bug.

The Hyper-V Image, I have bought (kls@xxx.ch has had no activated Samba. I have installed the Image so far 20 or 30 Times and a lots of hours and you advised me to open the Issue at Github.

Once again, what are you are asking for? I am not familiar with all this kind of technical stuff, because if I would know, I’m not to use a payed Image. A Hyper-V Image is as far as I concern running at a windows Environment so what kind of drives should I use if not the drives of the host and that are NTFS formatted drives.
Since the Fall Creators Update for W10 OS (from Nov.2017 my PC didn’t have) there is Linux and SMB/CIFS suport added in Windows 10 Professional, someone told me in a Forum AND SINCE THEN and no minute before, I have access to the Windows Drives in Nextcloud external Drives.

You asserted that samba was turned on, ok, I don’t know, because there was no message during my istallation that there is already a version and overwritten.

As I try to understand what there is going on, please send me the samba.conf (and other if needed), because I don’t know the pathes to the database and so on.
Thank you in advance

I just installed the Hyper-V image myself in a clean Windows environment just to test if I couldn’t mount SMB. Turns out I could mount SMB without any issues, so I don’t understand why you can’t?

1. Are you using the app in Nextcloud (External Storages) to mount SMB
  2. If not, how do you try to mount them? Please provide exact steps.

The VM is prepared to mount SMB/CIFS (Samba) with the External Storages App, hence php7.0-smbclient is pre-installed.

Yes, you are right, there is SMB support within NextCloud but not at the Server CLI. I didn’t know that this is possible. My opinion was I have to use Samba or something like that, before NextCloud can use the SMB Drives. Get my apologies, sorry.
I have done another clean setup and found that directly after setup by external storage (or something like that) I have access to SMB folder … but only Folder and not full drives.

Please have a look here

That is my main problem …

Thanks for confirming that it’s not an issue with the VM. :+1: