No access to external storage - local mount

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 24.0.1.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Docker-Container
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache
PHP version (eg, 7.4): replace me

The issue you are facing:

Hello,
I have instaled nextcloud in a docker-environment, by using docker-compose.

I mounted a local dirctory from my host system in the docker container. In nextcloud settings I added this (mounted) directory as an external storage (local).

With the last nextcloud version I was able to access all files and directorys in this folder. Since the newes update of nextcloud-version I am no more able to find my files and directory in the external storage, with the exception of one file, wich I created in nextcloud itself in the past.

So I asume, that there could be a permission-problem, so that nexcloud could noch more finde the mounted files from the host system.

In Terminal I opened the nextcloud container and in the mounted directory I could find all files wich I were seachring for. - I searched the topic in the web an I could find the advice, that the user www-data needs to have read-write-access to all files and directory. But now I don’t know how to set these necessary permissions, because on my host system the user www-data does not exist.

As you see, I’m a very newie in stuff like this. I would be verry grateful for every kind of help. I could post more Informations about my setup, if this is useful. Please let me know.

Thanks for your Help in advance and best regards - Daniel

Hi
I’m wondering the same thing.
Most guides do not apply in a dockerized environment.
I guess you could include the folders by smb instead of “local storage”. There you can map/enforce a certain user when accessing files. But also cumbersome to set up…

What is the best practice?