Nextcloudpi: Unable to turn on snapshots "/ is not in a BTRFS filesystem"

I’m trying to enable snapshots on my Nextcloudpi instance, but whenever I try to run either nc-snapshot or nc-snapshot-auto I get the error / is not in a BTRFS filesystem.

From my nextcloudpi system info I have the following:

datadir /media/ncprimary/ncdata
data in SD yes
data filesystem ext2/ext3
data disk usage 5.1G/118G
rootfs usage 5.1G/118G
swapfile /var/swap
dbdir /media/ncprimary/ncdatabase

Both datadir and dbdir are on a BTRFS USB drive, although I notice data in SD is marked yes above.

How can I enable BTRFS snapshots?

Where are you storing those snapshots? Seems you’re not mounted the root volume.

The datadir is in /media/ncprimary where /media/ncprimary is the mount point for a btrfs formatted drive.

I was eventually able to get this working by doing a fresh install and using the btrfs formatting tool in ncp-config, rather than formatting the drive using gparted.

I’m now trying to get those snapshots to sync onto a backup HDD. No luck so far, but I’ll see if it syncs tonight.

Ok. I don’t know how that tool sets it up. However normally you would have something like

/mnt/btrfsroot/
/mnt/btrfsroot/volumes
/mnt/btrfsroot/snapshots/volumes

Where volume is home, root, media, usr, and so on. These are called subvolumes and you can only make a snapshot of a subvolume and not the root. On some distributions they use @ or .snapshots. Btrfs itself has no default naming scheme