[Nextcloudpi] Recommended filesystem /USB boot

Hey everyone,
I have decided to build a Raspberrypi based NAS/Nextcloud for myself to be able to store my files in my own and not “someone’s” cloud and especially to learn how all this works. I have made a plan but am not sure if things will work out as I thought because I’m inexperienced. So I’m here to maybe get some guidance and feedback from you experienced guys and girls.

So I have a Raspi 4 8GB RAM with a sata head that is holding 4 2TB hdds. The sata hat is connected via usb. My goal was to have the 4 hdds in a raid 1 setting.
Since the pi4 also allows booting from USB now I thought I could get around running the NCP on the SDcard and instead have two partitions on the effective 4TB. Lets say a 10 GB partition for the OS, NC and optional other things and the rest is for data. My questions are:

• Is it a good idea to use btrfs as filesystem for all of the drives?
  • Would the booting from usb work like that?

I thought I could achieve this by:

1. using a normal pi image on SDcard to format the harddrives to btrfs
  2. create two partitions 10GB and 3,9TB (mirrored with raid 1)
    (this should all be possible with btrfs if I understand it correctly)
  3. install the NCP image on the small partition
  4. set the rpconfig to boot from USB, remove the SDcard and reboot
  5. and the Pi boots to NCP (hopefully :sweat_smile:)
  6. configure NCP

If someone here could give some virtual nods so that I don’t feel so unsure, or that if you spot a mistake to point it out to me so that I can learn

I’m confident with the linux, commandline in general, but this is my first time with filesystems, network security, etc.

Thank you everyone who took the time to read this and hopefully for your feedback!

L

Check faq https://docs.nextcloudpi.com/en/faq/
To boot from usb you can now install latest rpi-eeprom-update following guide at https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/boot-raspberry-pi-4-usb

I think the pi needs a fat partition for /boot
I use ext4 for /
and btrfs for data drives

1 Like