NextCloudPi on RPi3, option 2 (/boot on SD, / on USB)

New here. Been trying to install NCP on RPi3 option 2, hybrid method (/boot on SD, / on USB thumb drive).

I followed the instructions closely, but got stuck in one place.

Step: Change the fstab file

1. Is it the USB drive fstab or rootfs fstab?
  2. Do I need to change this before the first installation boot, or after booting and configuring NCP?
  3. The edit suggested is:

vi /etc/fstab
[before]
/dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1

[after]
UUID=11ed1dc5-0507-48f1-b1c6-d5926df1ee88 / ext4 defaults 0 1

Should I copy and paste the whole [before] and [after] lines, or the [before] line is replaced with the [after] line?

1. After changing the lines, should I delete the rootfs of the SD card before first boot, or I just boot it leaving the SD card rootfs?

Many thanks for tolerating my ignorance.

What instructions? Please post a link to them, thank you.

1 Like

Many thanks for your response.

I have been trying to install NCP on RPi3 following this instruction:

https://docs.nextcloudpi.com/en/how-to-install-nextcloudpi/

From this instruction, I have been trying “Option 2 (hybrid)” installation. Then I followed the link given in the Option 2 installation:

https://elinux.org/Transfer_system_disk_from_SD_card_to_hard_disk

And got stuck and not able to proceed further. My original questions are related to this tutorial.

Thanks a lot for your time.

1. root=/dev/ sda(1) is where you want fstab to be edited.
  2. Before you edit cmdline.txt (It doesnt really matter if NCP is initiated before or after)
  3. You will have to use LABEL instead of UUID to mount

Note that the UUID technique does not work for the Raspbian boot loader…

instead use:
LABEL=MYUSBDRIVE / ext4 defaults 0 1
or
/dev/sda(1) / ext4 defaults 0 1

1. After booting successfully, you can re-use the partition on sdcard (/dev/mmcblk0p2) anyway you want.

Thanks for your effort to answer the question.

I am writing it here to inform that I have solved the problem, and it took me 3 weeks to figure that out :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, the LABEL technique did not work.

The instructions given in the link given are more or less accurate:

[ https://elinux.org/Transfer_system_disk_from_SD_card_to_hard_disk 2]

the etc/fstab file has to be edited with UUID.

and the /boot/cmdline.txt with /dev/sda* (sda* your own partition).

The mistake what I was doing was I tried to check the partition on my Ubuntu machine, which showed it as /sdb and I edited the /boot/cmdline.txt like that (I had to use my linux desktop to use gparted as per the instruction).

But when I was inserting the thumb drive in my Raspberrypi, it took it as /sda, and that is why the /boot/cmdline.txt was not able to direct it to the right partition.

After many failures, I ran the blkid on raspberrypi terminal and discovered that the partition name had changed to /sda

So then I edited the /boot/cmdline.txt again, and it solved the problem.

Thank you all for your time and help!