Nextcloudpi: DNS query for my Nextcloud domain every minute

My Nextcloud (Nextcloudpi running on a Raspberry 400) is accessible from WAN, have a nextcloud domain which has a DynDNS Service (CNAME of no-ip domain).

Everything works fine.

I use a separate Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi 3b+ as a DNS server. In the query-log I can see, that my Nextcloud Server makes a DNS query for my Nextcloud Domain every Minute (3 of them, A/AAAA and cache). The Nextcloud Server is the client with the most allowed queries.

What’s the reason for that behaviour? Can I change it?

[/details]

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): Nextcloudpi 1.47.2 and Nextcloud version 23.0.2.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): newest Pi OS 64 Bit
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): ?
PHP version (eg, 7.4): ?

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Thanks in advance
Oliver from Germany

I don’t know Nextcloudpi, but I assume that the Nextcloud cronjob is executed 1x per minute. I would not worry about something so trivial, DNS queries do not cost much CPU.

If you still want to test something:

• Set overwrite.cli.url to localhost (if available) and test if this still happends
  • Remove the Cronjob and test if this still happens

Thank you for your tips. I’don’t have much knowledge about crontab and cronjobs. Viewed the cron folders in /etc. Have seen some jobs for NCP Updates.

“crontab -l -u pi” output: no crontab for pi

Same with user root and user oliver.

CPU usage is less, but I don’t want useless DNS queries on the privacy friendly and free DNS Servers I use.

/etc/cron.d:
ncp-notify-updates
ncp-previews-auto

/etc/cron.daily:
ncp-autoupdate
ncp-autoupdate-apps
ncp-autoupdate-nc
ncp-check-version

/etc/cron.weekly:
letsencrypt-ncp

User www-data has a crontab:
*/5 * * * * php -f /var/www/nextcloud/cron.php