NextcloudPi container crash no logs - RPI Zero W

Hi,

I wanted to test setting up NextcloudPi on a Raspberry Pi Zero W I had lying around. Knowing the performance wouldn’t be great, I just wanted to play around with it and get to use docker for like the second time.
After reading in this thread that the Zero should be supported again, and also seeing on the docker-hub page that the image supports “all architectures”, I pulled the container and tried to run it with:
docker run -d -p 4443:4443 -p 443:443 -p 8080:80 -v ncdata:/data --name nextcloudpi ownyourbits/nextcloudpi 192.168.0.100
The container starts, shows up in docker stats for a split-second, then dies without any further error messages and docker logs nextcloudpi does not yield any results. Also the json-log in /var/lib/docker/containers seems to be empty.
As an alternative, I also read about using the curl-isntaller for NCP but saw that it expects a clean system - mine has Pi-Hole currently running on it.

Should I keep trying to get NCP running on my Zero by e.g. composing a custom container, or could I have more luck trying a manual install without Docker? Or am I simply better off testing in a VM?

Thank you.

While it might be fun to “try” NCP on the Pi Zero W and you could prove the point, that it actually works, I really don’t see any benefit in trying.

It will be so incredibly slow that you can’t actually use it without a nervous breakdown. :joy:

Yeah you’re right it probably wouldn’t be great, even for testing. Just considered it because I only had the Zero lying around right now. So I guess the failing container is a result of incompatibilities with the CPU and I’ll just spin up a VM.

Do you happen to know if running the full version of Nextcloud on a Raspberry Pi 4 would be bearable? Would be used by 2-4 users, low traffic and might be co-hosted with stuff like BitWarden and a Pi-Hole.

I use a pi 4 4GB and have 5 users (not heavy use). That works quite well.

that makes more sense yes - I opted to get myself a NUC8i5 and plan to host Nextcloud and some other stuff on there (with a NAS to come soon). That shouldn’t pose any problems performance-wise.

1 Like