Nextcloud without root on provider managed server

Hi,

I am interested to use nextcloud as alternative for dropbox as my storage limit of 1 TB at dropbox is exhausted. I’ve unlimited webspace at my domain provider and would like to use that for nextcloud and I was able to setup the installation just fine. However, I found a few error messages in my admin panel. Since I don’t have root access to the server enviroment of the webserver, it looks to me like i am unable to solve these issues.

The “Strict-Transport-Security” HTTP header is not configured to at least “15552000” seconds. For enhanced security we recommend enabling HSTS as described in our security tips.

No memory cache has been configured. To enhance your performance please configure a memcache if available. Further information can be found in our documentation.

I don’t want spend a lot of money every month on a dedicated server, but my question is, if using nextcloud on a provider managed server is even a good idea or if this will lead to issues on the long term? Also I would like to know if I can solve the error messages above without root server access or are they not that important anyway? For example if I can’t enable memory caching, does this have a major impact on my installation performance?

I already enabled HTTPS for my nextcloud domain, however, I don’t know how to solve the “15552000” seconds thing or how to force redirecting from http to https without root access. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

Both things are not really required to run Nextcloud. As long as you can run in on a webhost this is fine, however the memory and computing power is rather limited.

For intense usage, dedicated servers are probably the best solution. Managed servers are not well defined, so some might provide enough options to allow settings that can improve the overall performance a lot (caching modules, database tuning, php7) others may not. Virtual server can be a good starting point, as they are much cheaper than dedicated servers and you are more flexible with resources.