Nextcloud Web UI EXTREMELY Slow

For me it took max 1s to load. Maybe something is wrong with your router or so?

No, everything works perfectly fine, except Nextcloud. The routing could be flaky on the DNS side, which could lead to longer loading times. However, that shouldn’t apply to my server, as I have other server apps on that server and they all run great, without any issues. Just Nextcloud is very problematic and annoying.

@Akito, what other services are you running besides Nextcloudon this box? Not sure if I asked this before.

I am in the process of migrating them to Kubernetes, so I only have a few running now:

• Gitea
  • Mattermost
  • Rocket.Chat

Plus, obviously, Nextcloud.

Before this migration, I had a lot more running, like Bookstack, OpenProject, Drone, etc…

Everything ran fine and without any problems. All server apps were very responsive and behaved, as they should.
Nextcloud was the only slowpoke in that scenario.

So, considering that most are currently down anyway, Nextcloud should run faster than before, especially with the additional optimisation, which was configured, but I don’t know if it was actually applied.

Mattermost is actually a great example, for what I expect from this migration. I migrated the storage to the sshfs mount and indeed, instead of loading within 200ms, it takes 2 seconds now. But then, it’s cached and again loads within half a second. Boom. Easy. That’s how it should go. No additional configuration was required. The cache was installed automatically. For Nextcloud, I have to do everything manually, it seems.

However, with Nextcloud, it feels like I’m dragging a fully loaded truck up a mountain, with only my body strength.

So the data lies on an sshfs mount? That could be the problem in case of Nextcloud…

Why? All other servers run fine, without any issues. I explained in the original post, why it shouldn’t be a problem. Except Nextcloud is truly poorly optimised and just bad.

Okay then I’d suggest you to just get rid of it and use a different project. Its probably better for you and for us.

1 Like

Not sure what that is supposed to mean. I was just stating facts and comparing Nextcloud to other server apps, so you can understand what is happening on my side.

Fact is, I have lots of experience with different server apps and Nextcloud is the only one being so extremely slow and problematic. Therefore, I assume this is the fault of how Nextcloud is made or at least the way it is distributed and supposed to be installed.

That is all I was saying. I’m not accusing Nextcloud of anything. I am just trying to conclude results and explanations from what is happening. Currently, the only thing that goes wrong is Nextcloud.

From my original post. Maybe you missed it.

To get back to the facts: it is a bad idea to position Nextclouds data dir on an sshfs mount because it includes an appdata dir which is needed for the website to work. You should rather store that folder on a ssd and not on an sshfs mount.

2 Likes

So, I was right in assuming that Nextcloud creates the problem.
The data folder in server apps should always only contain data. Hence the name. Storing configuration should only happen in the config folder or similar folders. Not the data folder.

That said, the other servers store their configuration on the same mount and don’t have to load 2 minutes. It takes half a second of loading, after cache and 2 seconds, before the cache.

Why is the appdata_xxxx folder in the data folder, if it’s a performance critical component of the software? You never store data on SSDs or high speed drives. That’s where you store the config, but not data.

Anyway, thanks for the hint. Is it possible to move away the appdata folder to somewhere else? I obviously won’t move the entire data folder to an SSD, or the whole point of the sshfs mount would be broken…

Maybe just add a mountpoint into the container on that location and move the existing data onto the mount?

I’ll see how that works with the persistent volume, which already contains everything in data, so I’ll have to check that out.

See Allow configuration of appdata directory location · Issue #12873 · nextcloud/server · GitHub for the feature request, btw.

Honestly I do and it is really nice :wink:

On 80GB SSD, minus OS files, other server files, etc. so you have only 17GB left? I don’t think that’s nice.

It is obviousely only nice if you have a big SSD!

I mounted the appdata folder through a subPath into the data folder, but it’s still slow. Don’t know what else to do and it really seems like it’s related to the core, because the file loading does not happen all the time, for e.g. when entering the settings it mostly does not need to load files. Additionally, I set up Redis and that should be working, though I cannot confirm a 100%, as explained earlier.
The PHP memory limit was also doubled and it’s still super slow…

No further idea then, sry. In can only report that my Nextcloud is as fast and responsive as ever so it still must be something with your setup.