Nextcloud vs Open365 a chance or a missed opertunity?

I am asking this question in regards of the new project with Seafile, KDE and LibreOffice. Can the Nextcloud project offer an fast answer to that? In the Q&A you said that you would like to create an Platform like that. In the meantime they might get it done. Do you think you can catch up to that, before they can be the new standard. Dont get me wrong, i am using owncloud for about 3 years now with multiple instance. I am really loving it, and of course i appreciate the way the project gets done and evolve over time. Especially with your strong confession to open source.
But i have to say that if it comes to an first impression now, open 365 looks much more sexy in terms of: “That could change everything” and maybe an future competitor against the big company’s like Microsoft and google. I know thats just some marketing blabla, and the real product is much more important, I just hope you will get the product done in the quality you want now, with a touch of a promising future.
LibreOffice now work on an new separate project, do you think you will get enough resources from them working in your direction?
I have to say that i didnt test the Open365 thing so far, and i dont know the background connection of all the projects. All i wrote is much more an impression of mine to the topic.
Who do you guys think about that?

Cheers Fred

3 Likes

Open365 isn’t that interesting in my opinion. It is using SPICE to connect to an XSession to deliver LibreOffice and Kontact. SPICE HTML5 Client is not very stable and development of the protocol isn’t that active (it is primarily a Red Hat project for delivering VDI and Red Hat has basically abandoned their VDI solution). Aside from SeaFile which is better at file sync in my opinion than OwnCloud/NextCloud, the technologies behind Open365 it aren’t that interesting.

The goals of Collabora + OwnCloud is to create a native HTML 5 experience for LibreOffice Online. I would love to see that continue with NextCloud working with Collabora to bring LibreOffice Online to the masses.

3 Likes

Any of the projects seem cool, Open365 and the Collabora one.

I just don’t get it why Calligra isn’t that explorer as well…

Anyway, about the tech bellow Open365: Unfortunately people don’t care what’s bellow… even if it’s a a very big mess they only care that it works.

That’s sad… and the reason why most people use windoze… but that’s how it is…

if i we were to look at the tech - and not the features - then Calligra, for example, is in better shape than LibreOffice IMHO… but rarely the best tech wins…

But - and you may mark my words here - not betting in something like Open365 is a mistake. Open365 is a good IDEA!

AFAIK, the Collabora project is using the same client-server technique, but everything is still very alpha and far from being usable in production. There are still a couple of years to wait before being able to have a decent MS document online editor.

Collabora 1.0 is out. Would that be a viable cloud office solution? There is a rather crude app for Owncloud already.

@jospoortvliet can say something on this topic :slight_smile:

Yeah… so the Open365 is a nice project buit quite a different approach as it seems to be a remote desktop solution while Nextcloud is about building integrated, native web apps. It is true that LibreOffice Online renders part of the view using their libraries on the server and streams that to the client but it is quite a bit more advanced than remote desktop, with the UI being client side and some advanced caching and local text rendering when editing.

I don’t think Collabora with LO Online is years from a usable solution either, on the contrary, they seem very close to me. With regards to comparisons with Calligra, I love their tech but even with a fundamentally better technology a mere handful of volunteers to me seem little match for a collaborative project with multiple companies employing many people full time like the OpenDocument Foundation & LO. Krita, on the other hand, has no match :wink:

Anyhow, in short - I think Open365 is an interesting but not exactly new approach and I would put my $$ on the web app approach we employ for now.

While they could use Nextcloud instead of Seafile if they care about security and potentially better integration but that’s not my call of course. And I also wouldn’t consider it a bad thing at all to see if we could integrate spice in Nextcloud, as that could bring any desktop app to online users. It can be very useful for some cases where you need a specific tool, when scalability or performance aren’t a central concern.

It’s true that with their 1.0 release of COOL, things look better, but let’s not forget that COOL != CODE. DE stands for development edition. You need a support contract to run COOL.

From their FAQ on CODE

The point of CODE is not to be “production-ready”, but to be a complete form of early access upon which developers can build and get involved with contributing
…
It makes things easy for you to play with the latest unstable developments – of course at some risk of loosing your data, and with no strong upgrade or continuity guarantees

CODE also contains debug markers and is not portable, so this tells me that distros may not package it and that using a platform demo VM is the only option.

Still miles away from “Documents” and the fact that a supported option exists offers a great solution for enterprise customers.

fair enough, the distinction between COOL and CODE is clear in that regard. Still you’d expect CODE to be ahead, feature wise, not behind. Just a bit worse in stability and perhaps performance/scalability, things home users don’t hate to much.

Yes, but NC does not only target home users :wink: . We’ll see if it’s only a wording problem.

1 Like