NextCloud vs Discourse

I’m looking at collaboration tools for a nonprofit. Discourse and NextCloud were recommended. They look identical. Is this intentional? What is their relationship to each other? Thank you.

huh? in which way do they look similar?

You should check and list your requirements more specific. Both tools are about collaboration somehow, but while discourse is more like a forum and open communication, Nextcloud has its strength in terms of file-, contact- and calendar sharing (core features) and its extendability (Mail, Talk, Notes, Deck, …) all in one place.

Discourse is… well THIS here is discourse - it’s a forum. Good for communication, not so good for file sharing, parallel editing a document and so on.

Both are open source and you should simply try both to make a decision: https://try.nextcloud.com/

PS.: Hello and welcome to the help forum for private users :blush:

1 Like

that is called Corporate Identity. It’s making look things very similar.

Other than that NC and Discourse don’t have anything in common.

in which way do they look similar?

UI is identical.

list your requirements

We are considering:
• Contacts sharing
• File collaboration
• File sharing
• Mobile app
• Organization methods
• Polls
• Search functionality

Nextcloud has its strength in terms of file-, contact- and calendar sharing (core features) and its extendability (Mail, Talk, Notes, Deck, …) all in one place.

I don’t see any of these services here.

you should simply try both to make a decision: https://try.nextcloud.com/

That link has always just been stuck on spinning.

Hello and welcome

Thank you.

You had never been actually looking at nextcloud yet, what you have seen was nextclouds discourse installation for the support forum…

that is called Corporate Identity. It’s making look things very similar.

They are made by the same corporation? Why would someone make two identical products with different names?

No, really, they both have a blue bar at the top and the avatar in the top right - that’s it. Here at help.nextcloud.com you can see topics and write comments, while at Nextcloud you will see a list of folders and files.

After reading your requirements, Discourse will be the wrong choice, for nearly every of your items, it simply doesn’t provide contact management nor file managent and sharing.

If you rely on some kind of open discussions you should have a look at Nextcloud Talk and Nextcloud Social. If none is OK for you, the best choice in my opinion is to deploy and run both, a Nextcloud and a Discourse instance.

2 Likes

Maybe we have a misunderstanding here: Both, Nextcloud and Discourse aren’t services like GMail or Facebook. They are software which you will have to install and run on your own server. You can adjust both a little bit (for example colors), so a user “know” that this form belongs to Nextcloud, because this instance has the same brand.

1 Like

I’m on NextCloud right now. It looks just like Discord did, a forum.

No, you are not.
You are on one of many Discourse instances which is run by Nextcloud GmbH to provide a topic related forum for their users. This is not a Nextcloud instance, but Discourse :slightly_smiling_face:

Please see my comment above, you will have to rent a Nextcloud instance (there is not a single one, but many many, just like there are many Discourse instances out there) or run it yourself.

2 Likes

For me that calls for a personal quote from Nextcloud GmbH.… They’d do everything for you…

1 Like

Yeah, it is just a demo instance for quick testing purposes and might hang from time to time.

Just try it again (i did a minute ago and it worked)

1 Like

Other demo:

https://nextcloud-demo.rackspeed-cloud.de/
User: nextcloud-demo
Password: nextcloud-demo

2 Likes