Reviving the Nextcloud Video.js Player to add annotations

I’ve got Nextcloud V24 up and running as a docker container. Everything works well, but I’m finding the video player a bit lacking. The theming looks a bit old and there are not many options available on the player menu.

I’ve come accross this app https://github.com/Baozisoftware/nextcloud-videoplayer which is based on videojs (a popular open source HTML5 video player) - This in turn is based off an older videojs nextcloud player, - GitHub - nextcloud/files_videoplayer: 📼 Old video viewer for Nextcloud. Despite being quite old both these players look better to me than the current app, and they have quite a quite a few more options - such as caption support, video duration etc. But, although I’m able to install both apps, niether of them seem to work. When click on a video to play it, it will just download it instead. Does anyone have any suggestions?

a videojs player would be ideal as it would allow for video annotations via GitHub - contently/videojs-annotation-comments: A plugin for video.js to add support for timeline moment/range comments and annotations as well as other features such as video quality selection.
The current video player is based on the “viewer” app which seems quite basic. Has anyone successfully implemented a videojs player into recent versions of nextcloud? Is there much demand for this? I am coming from the perspective of video editing where I am sharing videos with clients. Being able to firstly have a video player that looks good and secondly, be able to have more advanced options such as annotations and quality selection would be great.

1 Like

I am also looking for a solution like this so please if somone has any experience, share it.

videojs support was deprecated by the Nextcloud team so there is no way they will be implementing it again. You could try forking the older app and maintaining it with your changes for annotations. Good luck!

The demo site for pydio has an incredibly useful feature for videos but it’s only relegated to the enterprise version. It allows time specific notes on videos which is useful for creators like myself as we collaborate and make versions of each video. I know they are using this videojs plugin, and I have been trying to adapt it into nextcloud as an app but definitely am in over my head. This kind of functionality effectively eliminates our need for vimeo or frameio and would be super useful. Any chance of integrating this or any tips on adapting an existing nextcloud app on github to use this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Yes!!! We really need this feature for collaboration. Just the cost of video production is so high these days, it would definitely help if we could get this feature so that we could send a finished video for review to our clients. Please let us know if we can offer any kind of support for this project.

1 Like

Apologies for replying to an old thread/post has their been any updates on this feature? Would love to be able to move away from services like FrameIO and Vimeo.

I take it you didn’t read the thread.

videojs support was deprecated by the Nextcloud team a while ago so there is no way they will be implementing it again. You could try forking the older app and maintaining it with your changes for annotations. Good luck!

1 Like

Hey @Brendon_Rathbone,

Have you already started building the app?

Ah my mistake, was skimming through and misread.

1 Like