Nextcloud user manual translation

Well, this is more of a call for support. We would use other software.

Can you explain your message? Didn’t get it.

I think the next question would be, is there a tool to manage translation for such files? Or for possible workaround, and it seems to be possible: http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/usage/advanced/intl.html with a workaround in transifex.

1 Like

And there seems to be a French version already (but without translation tool):

thread on the forum:

For sure the community can translate the rst files directly at GitHub.

But it’s probably very painful to track changes, if we could implement the solution to add this to transifex would probably a better solution.

I don’t know if the procedure to create the files for Transifex, if there is a way in github to implement this or if we need some external robot to run this (I could try the solution in the link with a local repository). At some later point I’d probably need some help from Jos or someone with admin access.

Some other thoughts besides the technical solution with Transifex.

• How do we handle new NC major releases? Currently it looks like the whole doc for e.g. NC15 will be copied to NC16 and adapted. Will we do the same at Transifex and have subproject for each major release?
  • Is somebody from Nextcloud company in charge for the documentation task? IMHO we need a person to manage the documentation (not the translation).
  • Which language teams have the power to permanently work on translation of the docs? Only a few from my POV. If a doc is only translated e.g. 50% (or any value, tbd) of the doc it should not be published in my opinion.

Any thoughts? @jospoortvliet ?

We’ve discussed this a bunch of times. what essentially has to happen is that somebody sets up an automated mechanism between Transifex, Github and our documentation server. The problem is that right now, our sysadmin-ish resources are very scarce - you probably have noticed the infrastructure issues we’ve been having recently. If any of you has some transifex experience and is willing to help, the best is probably to join the conference and try to sit with morris jobke, roeland, arthur and some others to try and make it happen. I’m not sure, if the doc server is separate infra (from anything that touches on customer stuff), they might even be able to hand over credentials to help set things up…

I hope you can find a good one soon, infrastructure problems like downtime are really impacting the user (and developer!) experience in a negative way.

I translated the basic usermanual in Dutch. It is now being checked by someone on typo’s and other small mistakes.

Can anyone help me to get this thing ‘out there’? Do I need to contact someone to read this and check if it is allright in case ‘official’ translations exist? I have no experience with this :slight_smile:

Hello Knestor,

to be honest I do not know how to deal with the user documentation.
Since some days there is a new project at Transifex. See

https://www.transifex.com/nextcloud/nextcloud-user-documentation/dashboard/

It has been transfered from another use and I have no glue if this is connected to GitHub?
The source is not clear.
And how to deal with different server releases?

@Jos Do you know any details? Send you an email some days ago.

Knestor: What is your target? You like to have it included in Nextcloud universe?
What is the source of your files?

Hello rakekniven,

Well, we translated it to help our clients. It may as well be used by other Belgian/Dutch users who are less confident in English. To reach this, it could help to get the translation ‘official’ or accessible on the Nextcloud platform. If something like that is possible of course.

Hello,

Which repo you are using?

Hello,

I did the job, it is related to this PR:

Feel free to ping me here to ask me anything.

2 Likes

Update - we’re waiting to get this merged. Then translation can start…

1 Like

Another option would be to generate the pdf-file on the fly with the IL10N interface, instead to ship an pre-generated pdf-file.
Then we would have the same simple l10n structure with easy to add/editable *.js and *.json files.

okay,

the ground work for automating translation has been done.

You can find everything you need here:

I still have a bit of work to automate the shipping of the doc inside Nextcloud it self.

But the most important is here, so that strings are uplaoded automatically from the github repo to transifex, translation can happen, and once it is done, the translation is pushed back to github.

I wanted to say a big thanks to Nextcloud team that helped me to set this up!

3 Likes

Great work. Now the sub project at Transifex makes sense. :+1:

1 Like

Do you know the plans on how the translations will be available?

Currently there are nolanguage switchers at https://docs.nextcloud.com/

EDIT: Just seen there is a language switcher for user docs. Great.

1 Like

Hi Knestor,

Are you willing to share the manual you translated? I’m looking for a dutch translation as well. I started translating on transifex and it would be a big help to get your input.

Thanks