Nextcloud update pain

After installing every major update it is a real pain and frustration for users. Latest update had a default enabled dashboard. Multiple existing users were not able to find their files. Any new users are not able to match screen with the previously self created screenprints in the manual.

Multiple folder shares are embedded into our intranet. Styling is necessary after each major update. The latest update had a default black background.

These are some serious issues that break the user experience. Already installed the theming app for a custom styling. I would like to suggest some rocksteady styling across updates.

Wellā€¦ seemingly you manage an instanceā€¦ meaning you are the administrator of a somewhat professional used nc-server.

so have you ever heard that you usually donā€™t update productive instances before you tested both the updateprocess and the new version ahead of deploying everything to the productive system?

this is the responsibility of an admin. you canā€™t shift it.

so the new version might have broken several things on the usecase for your company. get it straight and learn how and what to do for next major upgrades (usually for minor updates as well). and yes itā€™s a bit more work in the beginning but in the long run it saves you time and nerves and keeps your users happy.

if you generally might feel that all of this would be too much for you as an admin get yourself professional support and help.

5 Likes

Iā€™m using a docker container where the maintainer is responsible for the testing (not exactly the scope of my issue).

You do agree that over time styling is breaking the user experience with every new color or whatever? Obviously Iā€™m not updating the new screenshots in our own manual.

Itā€™s called user experience. In my experience the user is always right.

well it was your decision to use a docker containerā€¦ and of course you give away parts of the responsibilty of an admin to the maintainer. so you get what you have ordered.

if you want more control about your instance (like deciding about updates and such) spin up your own. It shouldnā€™t be as hard for a professional IT-guy.

neither nextcloud nor any docker maintainer is responsible for your experiencesā€¦ you took the decisionsā€¦ now go with them. or change them if you think you took a bad turn somewhere on your path.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the experience of my users Iā€™m talking about. Nowhere near any experienced users. Every now and then after an update I edit the styling to match the previous version. In the latest update I had to disable the dashboard also, to show the user files as previously was the default. Updates are executed only because of security issues.

The process of updating is done within a minute (if the user experience doesnā€™t break). Itā€™s actually a total new build container. The way to go in my experience.

1 Like

right. And YOU are responsible for it.

But anywaysā€¦ What exactly was your point?

If this is the case, you could always stick to e.g. the nextcloud:19 labelā€¦ Security fixes will always get backported to the previous releases as long as they are within their support window :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Over time this issue will still remain.

1 Like

My exact point is not being able to explain my exact point. Never mind.

2 Likes

Yes i also does not like it. Not the dashboard. Because it it on default enabled.
You can disable dashboard (for all users) in app-store or set the default app in config.php .

'defaultapp' => 'files',
see documentation to config.php

To the nextcloud releases:
a.) do not update with the first version (e.g. 20.0.0) of a nextcloud release
b.) test new nextcloud releases on a test server
c.) read bugs about new nextcloud releases

5 Likes

Didnā€™t know about ā€˜defaultappā€™. Thank you.

Added to the post docker build script:
docker exec -it containername occ config:system:set defaultapp --value="files"
(System config value defaultapp set to string files)

Better than:
docker exec -it containername occ app:disable dashboard

ā€˜defaultappā€™ => ā€˜filesā€™,

Set the default app to open on login. Use the app names as they appear in the URL after clicking them in the Apps menu, such as documents, calendar, and gallery. You can use a comma-separated list of app names, so if the first app is not enabled for a user then Nextcloud will try the second one, and so on. If no enabled apps are found it defaults to the Files app.

Defaults to files

Hi,
I have installed NC for my personal and private use and eventually will share it with close friends to suit them.
Still, I would not upgrade until I get sure it will be compatible with all the apps I have (especially the Zimbra Drive App which takes ages to be updated accordingly) and run perfectly smooth, so I will wait for some time and check the blogs to know if there are any issues that I would have to face. I am actually quite happy with v.18 but will probably update to v.19 if it goes well, but not to v.20 as I donā€™t need all those features!
But after all , if the new versions donā€™t bring me any real improvements to do my work, then better keep an older one which I am happy and satisfied with rather than wasting time patching a new one just to be able to have new features that I might not use after all.

Hello, the same for me. I was looking for disabling the useless dashboard and I was buffled that I cannot do this.

For many users it is much better to go to files app directly without extra unnecesary clicks to bypass the ā€œadvertisementā€ page with randomly selected contents (the new dashboard). Changing in PHP is not a good option. It should be in preferences.

Also there should be no changes introduced which are destroying peopleā€™s workflow which are not optional. The dashboard should be a downloadable app and not the ability to disable dashboard.

@Marcin_Gosiewski See comments above. You can set another default app.