Nextcloud Upate

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2):
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04):
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25):
PHP version (eg, 7.1):

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):

Steps to replicate it:

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

What is your issue? Fill the template please :wink:.

I would fill out the template but it is “frozen”. I’ll do the best I can:
Nextcloud: 14.03
PHP: 7.1

I could collect all the other data if I you really need it.

I’m self hosting Nextcloud. I installed with Softlacous installer in CPanel. I update using the cPanel script because it makes backup easy.

Problem: When I login to Nextcloud to complete the update by clicking on the start update button nothing happens. No progress bar. The screen does not change. Is my system updating or not? How can I get the update to start?

Thanks
John

Okay so cpanel is a hosting provider, hope someone has experience with this, how to debug with it’s tools. Had access to a cpanel account once, but can’t remember anymore exactly.

Also it would help to know/check how the softculous script sets up Nextcloud exactly.

If the Nextcloud update ran, you would see a progress, so it doesn’t.
If there is a chance on cpanel to access the system via terminal, you could try to run the upgrade via console occ command: https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/14/admin_manual/configuration_server/occ_command.html#command-line-upgrade-label

• The issue is that on most hosting providers, even if you have terminal access, you can’t use sudo to run php occ command. In rare cases it’s possible to run it simply with your given login user, so without sudo.

Another start to investigate is to check the Nextcloud log file. There is a file manager on cpanel where you can access your Nextcloud data folder. It depends on the install script, where this was located, possible it just uses the default location inside Nextcloud install folder. E.g. /path/to/nextcloud/data/nextcloud.log then is the logfile to check for errors within the last lines.